OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Please help! I HAVE to get this mare pg next year!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Please help! I HAVE to get this mare pg next year!! « Previous Next »

Lianne P.
Neonate
Username: Asbjumper

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, I hope you read this...
I have a perfectly fit and healthy 10-yr old mare. She was bred in 2003, caught on the first try, needed no special treatments or drugs, and had an uneventful pregnancy and popped out a lovely healthy filly on Day 331.

Fast-forward to summer of 2005 - she is cultured (negative) and bred AI again on a 52 mm follicle, vet comes back to check her at 48 hrs post-breeding, she had ovulated and everything looked PERFECT. She is checked in foal at 17 days, checked again at 45 days and the baby has a heartbeat, again, no fluid, big CL, everything is still great.

Then she is checked at Day 65 and nothing... vet says she reabsorbed, she thinks she can see the remnants of the vesicle but no fetus. Vet is stumped - there is still a nice big CL present and everything looks great - but no baby.
Mare is still fit and happy, has not been sick or stressed or anything...

I am getting tons of different opinions as to how to manage this mare when I re-breed next year. It will be my last attempt before the LFG expires. I want to know how to mange this mare next spring - Regumate? Oxytocin? Leave her alone...?? What? Help!

(Message edited by ASB-Jumper on October 04, 2005)

(Message edited by ASB-Jumper on October 04, 2005)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10324
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy has answered this admirably where you posted it on the CotH Board.

One thing I will add is that before doing anything invasive before breeding again, I would make absolutely sure that the mare is not pregnant! While a pregnancy really shouldn't be missed at 65 days, I do know of incidences where it has been... :-(

The other point that I would comment on is that the presence of a CL is perfectly normal at that stage of pregnancy or pregnancy loss. After the endometrial cups grow in around day 35 of pregnancy, there are typically multiple follicles developing on the ovaries that will either ovulate or luteinize (become CL's without ovulating), and this will continue through to around 120-150 days after the initial ovulation that resulted in the pregnancy. In the event that the mare loses the pregnancy after the formation of the endometrial cups, she will still think she is pregnant even though she isn't, and will continue to produce follicles/CL's and not show estrus ("heat") until they resolve after that 120-150 day mark.

Lianne P.
Neonate
Username: Asbjumper

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much, Jos. I do indeed plan to have her palpated in the spring before I do anything in regards to breeding her. :-)

You guys are GREAT!

Joanie Davison
Neonate
Username: Joanied

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lianne P,

I couldn't find the post where your problem was addressed (cotH Board) but I wonder if anyone has suggested you have your mare's hormone levels checked?
especially since she is getting up in age, it might be a good idea.
I know you are having her cultured and have the vet check her for bredding soundness and all that stuff, but if her hormones aren't right, she'll be hard to settle and/or she'll resorb.

I have a problem mare and when we checked her hormone levels found out she needed some help to maintian her pregnancy (she'd get in foal, but would not maintain)...
right after she was bred (last year)we styarted her on generic progesterone (you don't have to use Regumate, it's way expensive)...I gave it to her orally with a syringe...5cc's every five days for 2 wks. Then 3cc every five days ( you give the does ON the 5th day) until she went into her 4th month...then I began weaning her off the progresterone...1cc less, every 5th day until the last does was 1cc.

She has maintianied her pregnancy and is now going into her 8th month.

I wish you best of luck this breeding season...I know what it's like when you jjst HAVE to get a mare in foal!!

Hope I was some help.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10464
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For what it's worth, all the research indicates that progesterone cannot be absorbed by the equine gut :-) "Regumate" (altrenogest) is not progesterone, but a synthetic progestin, which is absorbable.

Not to shoot you down completely Joanie (sorry!!), but before jumping on the "Regumate wagon" I always encourage everyone to review our article about Regumate [over]use first... :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US