OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Uterine cysts....remove or not?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Uterine cysts....remove or not? « Previous Next »

Susan
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 16yo TB mare that has had numerous foals. She has 3 or 4 uterine cysts. A vet told me in '98 that I would need to remove these eventually but my current repro vet doesn't seem to think it is necessary. She conceived in '98 and '99 on the 2nd breedings but did not conceive this year on the first normal cycle after foaling. It was late and I opted not to try again and wait til Feb. She also pools urine after foaling, but was not as bad this year as last. She is also "sucking wind" behind terribly now. She hasn't be open during the time I've owned her until now. My vet also said I should think about having the minor surgery done that will alleviate the urine pooling. What is your opinion on removing the cysts and this other procedure? Do you think either will hinder her tremendously getting back in foal? Thanks Jos!

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2000 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uterine cysts can be present in actually quite large numbers, and yet cause no reduction in pregnancy rates. It depends a lot upon their size and location. In the event that they are large enough to reduce the mobility of the conceptus through the uterus during the first 16 days of pregnancy, then that will certainly affect the pregnancy (the mobility of the conceptus allows "maternal recognition", which prevents the release of prostaglandin by the mare's uterus, which would cause a return to estrus). If the cysts are located close to the base of the uterine horn on either side, then they may interfere with conceptus "fixation" and subsequent "implantation". If however they would not appear to be capable of affecting either of those situations, I would not at present be concerned with reducing them.

The urine pooling and vaginal windsucking on the other hand are a serious problem, and it is most likely that is relative to these problems that your mare is now "open". I would certainly recommend following your veterinarians advice to have the surgery to alleviate the urine pooling, and I would ensure that the mare has "clean" culture and cytology prior to breeding. As you indicate that the urine pooling has been a persistent problem post-foaling, it may well be worth having a uterine biopsy performed to establish how much, if any, endometrial scar tissue is present as a result of endometritis. This also sounds as though it's a mare that would benefit from a Caslick's procedure post-breeding.

You should also have her ultrasounded prior to breeding, and "map" the locations of the uterine cysts, so that they will not be mistaken for a pregnancy later upon ultrasonic pregnacy status evaluation.

As I suspect this is an older mare, and it is obvious that she may have a "tired uterus", be sure to watch for delayed uterine clearance of inflammatory fluid post-breeding, or indeed of fluid build up pre-breeding. Oxytocin can assist in clearing this.

Good luck!

Susan
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thanks for the info. She has always been caslicked post breeding and is flushed 3 consecutive days after foaling and is also given oxytocin post foaling. We do also note the location of the cysts pre-breeding. I have no documention to substantiate this, but supposedly she has had 12 foals. I am sure of 5, all in the last 5 consecutive years. She has gotten in foal for me the 3 yrs I've had her so I have not had reason to do a biopsy. I only bred her once this year and suspect the stallions semen wasn't very good. Stallion owner kept bragging about the semen having 70% motility at 12hrs but could not tell me what it was at 24, 36 and 48! It was late in the year and I opted not to try again as it is VERY hot here in late May and on through the summer. Since she cannot be bred on foal heat anyway, I was going to have to skip a year sooner or later, so I opted to wait. She is one awesome producing mare and hopefully I will have the finances to have the other procedure done. Any idea of the costs? My vet is saying around $1000?

Jos
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2000 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm sorry, I can't give you any idea of costs. I would however suggest that you contact a Veterinary Teaching University if you have one locally, as often their prices are cheaper than a Veterinary practices, and the service just as good.

Good luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US