OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

15 yr old mare that had c-section?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 15 yr old mare that had c-section? « Previous Next »

delia Kramer
Neonate
Username: Delia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a very nice Arabian mare that had a c-section 7 yrs ago. What are the odds of getting her in foal and her foaling safely? My vet checked her and said she has good tone and he couldn't feel or see any scar tissue. She cycles regular and loves the foals my other mares have. I had this mares mother and would love to have another foal by her. This mare (as well as her mother)has the best mind and is a fun horse to be around. Everyone who sees her loves her. Has anyone else her done this before. Bred a c-section mare?

Board Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 10047
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chances should be good that she will get pregnant with little or not trouble. A pre-breeding examination would be valuable.

You should be sure to make a point of being present for the foaling in case there are issues associated with her ability to foal though (note that it is always advisable to be present at the foaling - we don't miss any - but even more so in this case).

delia Kramer
Neonate
Username: Delia

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never miss a foaling! I sleep at the barn when my mares are due. That is the only reason we saved this mare. I just had an exam done in Aug to see and the vet said everything looked good. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and not had foaling problems?
By the way I love this board and info it has! I try to read all the articals I can! Thanks a lot.

Lisa Weir
Weanling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only met one mare that had a c section and was bred afterwards and all went well there with a normal foaling. So it's certainly not impossible.

victoria
Neonate
Username: Rvf

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a c-section done on a mare several years back. the foal died in utero and presented all 4 feet done at once, while the foal was laying paralell across the mare. The vet felt it was in the mares best interests to do a c-section rather than go in and damage the cervix. She said the reason there can be a low survival rate/compilcations etc with c-sections is that its often thought of as a last resort, much like colic surgry. Our vet also recommended rebreeding 3 months after the c-section to minimise any scar tissue. She was bred and foaled a healthy filly the next year. I know of a couple of others, all have sucessfully got back in foal, one was identical circumstances to our mare.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10327
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A C-section tends to be a less often performed procedure, because - as with most abdominal surgery with the equine - there is a high risk of peritonitis. The cow has a reasonably high resistance to such a post-surgical infection, so an on-farm C-section in the cow is not unusual, but with a high risk in the equine a sterile surgical suite is called for to limit the risk of post-surgical complications. It is this more than any other reason (although cost is certainly often a factor) that limits the likelihood of a C-section being performed in the equine.

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well thank you for that Jos.

We've dealt with two dystocias, one in a mini mare and one in a pygmy goat. Both were brought to the Vet clinic with the intent to do a C-section but in both cases the Vet insisted on pulling them out they way they went in :-)
Cutting the foal/goat into peices :-(

I never could figure out why if we were willing to pay for a C-section, one wasn't performed.

Now I know.

victoria
Nursing Foal
Username: Rvf

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of interest could it be that in NZ we have less equine nasty's around, which would account for this one particular vets high success rate with this type of surgery at their surgical unit? I ask out of interest as the vets in question seemed to think it was a far better and less risky option than pulling the or cutting up the foal. Post surgry the recommended as much outside time as possible in a confined space they said the horse was less likey to pick up infection that way.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US