OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

11yr mare doesn't come out of heat

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 11yr mare doesn't come out of heat « Previous Next »

Bruce B. Williams
Neonate
Username: Cowhorse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought this mare early last spring and she was in bad need of TLC and groceries...(very thin) but she has a great pedigree and conformation...I got her looking good by mid spring and tried to breed her by live cover...she stood good and did reject the stud after the cycle but still had a lite tail and a winking problem...after 15 days ultrasounded her and she was open...went threw the same process 2 more times. after the last breeding I did ultrasound her to make sure she did ovulate and she did. the 4th time I bred her I put her on Regumate after I made sure she ovulated. the symptoms of heat went away but she still did not settle...is there anything else that I can try?

LRidgeway
Yearling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has she had a complete Repo exam and work up? Culture, Biopsy, check for Tumors, etc...??

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10306
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear in mind that some mares display an apparent estrus ("heat") behaviour as a sign of submission. This may well be why you are seeing such continued apparent behaviour.

If you have bred her multiple times with no pregnancy, I think that a pre-breeding work-up by a vet is certainly warranted, with especial attention paid to uterine condition and pre- and post-breeding fluid presence. The culture (and cytology), or biopsy as mentioned above would certainly assist. I would also be looking for ultrasounds during the breeding process to identify the presence or absence of uterine fluid, and confirm correct breeding timing and ovulation.

Lisa Weir
Weanling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We find that mares that arrive at the beginning of the season in very poor condition(yes, some people confuse 'light condition' with emaciated.), often won't take until very late, if at all that year. No matter how much weight they gain in the process. Particularly maidens.
But I think Jos' suggestion is the way to go first. If all is well there, I'd watch for signs of a "normal" cycle and go on the one following. That is if time is not crucial.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US