OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Strange Finding on Ultrasound in Pregnant Mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Strange Finding on Ultrasound in Pregnant Mare? « Previous Next »

Jennifer Graef
Neonate
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today (9-09-05) I had my vet out to ultrasound my mare that was covered on Aug 3rd and 5th. She IS in foal. He said the fetus looks great and could see the heart beat. She is 34 days along.

But, then when he changed the focus he found a honeycomb shaped thing that was inside the amnion WITH the fetus. He says he is pretty sure it is not just in the Uterus but inside the sac too. He says that it does not appear to be a cyst. He has NO idea what it is and wouldn't even venture a guess.

To me it looked like an ovary that is covered in follicles, but obviously there shouldn't be an ovary in that area. What could it be? Anyone ever encounter something like this?

The mare is 24 years old. She has a grade IIA uterus and has had about 10 previous ultrasounds this year. She has a few cysts that have been pointed out before but not that many. She has been on 10ccs of regumate daily since day 5 after breeding. I used oviplant with her and then oxytocin injections afterwards for 3 days.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. My vet doesn't have a clue, though he does lots of ultrasounds on mares. He says he has never seen this before.

My uneducated guess is that it may be a twin that stopped developing early on. Is that a possiblity?

Jennifer Graef
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it is not in the amnion, but actually in the allantochorionic sac (the larger one) I am not really sure on that point... But he said it is not like a cyst that is simply very close to the fetus and possible affecting the transfer of nutrients. He said it is in with the fetus...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10301
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without seeing the image it is almost impossible to hazard a guess - can you display it on-line anywhere?

Jennifer Graef
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can see it here:
http://www.kakadudragons.com/horse/horse_us.JPG

There are five pics. I left it full size, so it's BIG.

Two other vets were there today for the US and none of them could say what it was.

Jennifer Graef
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone?

Jennifer Graef
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is driving me crazy! I have spent the last tree days on the internet looking for anything that may shed some light. Please let me know if anyone has an idea....

Perhaps its just a cyst and the vet is wrong?

Anonymous

Posted From: 71.111.55.171
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer,

I suspect everyone else is as stumped by the images as you and your vet are.

Although they were very good photos, it is always more helpful to see them in 'real time' (movement).

Some guesses may be:
Abnormal pregnancy
Cyst
Non viable twin

It is difficult not to worry, but, it seems there's not much more you can do at this point.
Another ultrasound in a couple weeks (or sooner)would be wise.

Any of the Therio folks care to comment?

Jennifer Graef
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know I am being a bit annoying probably, but its killing me.

For anyone experianced with ultrasounds, does the embryo part look normal? Is this what a normal 35 day pregnancy should look like otherwise?

Anonymous

Posted From: 71.111.55.171
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer,

My apologies if my post sounded like you were being annoying. I don't blame you for worrying and wanting to know what is going on with your mare. It sounds like you take good care of her and want to do what is best for her and the
pregnancy.

It also sounds like your vet thought the embryo looked normal and had a heartbeat with normal appearance. Is that correct?

Another guess to add to the previous list of guesses would be something to do with the developing allantois

Maybe you've already seen these images, but if not, you might enjoy looking at this link:

http://www.piedata.com/vet/pdf/eo6.pdf
Look at day 38-44, image b.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Please keep us posted on your mare's pregnancy.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10305
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Anonymous noted above, it is difficult to gain a useful opinion without viewing the ultrasound in "real time" (I appreciate you making the effort to make the images available to us though!).

If the mare were a little further along, I would feel inclined to think that perhaps you are seeing the embryo/fetus and also a section of the umbilicus. The lower images also cause concerns that perhaps there are twins present.

As Anonymous also noted, I think re-evaluation in a week or two may be of great value. If you get more image then (and your vet still cannot identify what you have) please post them again!

Angela Houle
Nursing Foal
Username: Rageninvestment

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, have you had your mare ultrasounded again??

Michele
Neonate
Username: Mich

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found in an article by Dr Pycock, maybe it's of help:

"Transrectal ultrasonography generally assists a diagnosis: often the GTCT appears as a large (7--40cm) mass, spherical and with a multicystic or `honeycomb' appearance. However, there is no typical ultrasonographic appearance of GTCTs, since they can vary from being uniformly homogenous to having one or several large fluid-filled cysts. The echogenicity of the cyst wall differentiates it from persistent, large anovulatory follicles. Teratomata, melanomata and dysgerminomata are solid neoplastic lesions appearing uniformly echogenic. However, the ultrasonic appearance of some GTCTs seen by the author can be similar to that of luteinized, unruptured (`haemorrhagic') follicles. Ultrasonography is therefore best used as an aid in the evaluation of enlarged ovaries along with the history, clinical and laboratory findings."

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US