OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is she bred or not? Why is she bagging down?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Is she bred or not? Why is she bagging down? « Previous Next »

Amy C.
Neonate
Username: Amyd_dawn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had gotten my mare bred the first of June, however I don't believe that she took because it seemed that she started horsing again. But now that it is going on 3 months since she was bred, she has been sweating perfusely and is now bagged down and is having liquid coming out of her mammories. What could be going on? Should I still have a blood test done to see if she is in fact bred? If she is bred then isn't it way too soon for her to be bagging down? However, the liquid is just kind of a clear milky looking substance.

Renee Clover
Nursing Foal
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy,
There could be a few reasons that your mare could be bagging already. I would have her checked for pregnancy so that you know whether you are dealing with a preg mare or not. If so, then some mares will show signs of impending birth (bagging up, sweating, etc) when they are about to absorb or abort the pregnancy. If she is not pregnant, then it is possible she is having a "Phantom Pregnancy", and these will sometimes simulate a normal pregnancy all the way through the 340 odd days that the average mare is pregnant for. I would have a vet check your mare. Hope this helps.

Amy C.
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your reply, it just stinks cause my vet is out of town until next week! I wasn't going to have a test done on her because I really didn't think that she was bred because she has beeing acting like she is in heat, however from what I have read mares can and will act like they are. But I think that I will definately get her checked out now. Thanks again!

Renee Clover
Nursing Foal
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amy,
Once she gets to 90 days, you can buy "do-it-yourself" type blood tests to determine pregnancy if you wanted to see before your vet comes back. I use "Pregnamare", and it is easy and cheap and accurate. But if she is showing all these other signs too, it might be an idea to have your vet assess what is going on.
Let me know how you go with it.
Goodluck

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10249
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pregnamare kit tests for eCG and should be used between about days 45 and 75 for maximum accuracy. By day 90 you may be getting false negatives. Use of the estrone sulfate (or total estrogen) assays such as the FoalProof kit after 120 days is very accurate.

Amy C.
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the vet came out to check her today and she is not bred but he said that she does have some hormone issues and it would probable be very hard to get her to breed again Thanks for your advice guys!

jennifer (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 159.53.78.142
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

My mare has been bred three times by AI unsuccessfully. The first breeding was not successful due to her not coming fully into season. The last two times we were right on the money she had ovulated and everyting. From ultrasoud she looks great in there and normal. This last time we checked her she wasn't showing signs of coming into season, but was deemed not pregnant at 18 days ultrasound. She also has a small swelling of her bag, which I havn't noticed before. Any thoughts as to my troubles?

Amy C.
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she has the same problems as my mare, hormones! She is 19, can horses go through menopause? It just seems kinda weird cause she had been sweating alot and then bagged down and the vet said that it was just hormones.

jennifer (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 159.53.206.144
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 12 just this year. When she comes in she is IN. I don't think she is having hormonal problems, my vet says she is ok. I am so frustrated, we are culturing her to make sure she doesn't have a low grade infection. I was thinking MAYBE we missed an embryo on the ultrasound, but that seems unlikely from what I have read.

Amy C.
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT can get frusterdating! It wasn't my regular vet that checked my mare yesterday, but my regular DR says that come early spring we can do a uterine biopsy to see what exactly is going on with her. My horse has had 5 colts and the last one was SUPPOSE to be kept and her last one but my dad decided that he was going to sell him and rebrick their house. I was NOT a happy camper! Good luck with your mare!

Amy C.
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I got ahold of my regular vet and I had forgotten to mention that I had changed her feed. I started feeding her some of Mooreman feed, two different kinds and my vet told me that the feed is changing her hormones and causing her to produce more estrogen. That is why she had bagged down and next time she goes into heat I could try to breed her where she is producing more estrogen. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Amy C.
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my mare goes back to the breeders this afternoon for round 2 this year. The vet gave me a shot to give her on her second day of cycling, Cystorelin. Has anyone used it before and had good outcomes?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US