OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Labial Tear

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Labial Tear « Previous Next »

Trisha
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there. Just had my baby out of my 20 year old maiden. Big, beautiful chestnust filly. My sister is considered rebreeding the mare this year, but she did suffer a good sized labial tear. My vet has not repaired it yet as she said the bruising would probably make the skin more likely to break down so she is going to be rechecked in a week. In the meantime she is being washed twice daily with a mild antiseptic to decrease the likelihood of infection. The tear does not go into the birth canal at all. We think it has something to do with the face that the caslick's was left slightly shut by the vet who is no longer my vet. We tried to open it earlier in the day, but apparently missed some of the inner skin. You could see it pulling when the foal was coming out.
My question is how will this affect her future fertility. I will most likely retire her from breeding after this next baby as she is old enough and done enough. My family is very attached to her, and she has produced such a lovely foal, we would like one more. She is an excellent mother. I do intend to put this to my vet when she comes for the recheck next week, but I am just wondering what others have experienced with labial tears, and if rebreeding is even an option.

Lisa Weir
Neonate
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your new baby!!

If the tear is only superficial, it shouldn't effect her fertility, but live cover could be impossible if healing isn't complete in time.
It will be a call for your vet, I think, since it's hard to know without seeing the tear.
I have seen many tears ( some of them horrendous) and our vet always recommends warm salty water for washing, rather than an antiseptic, especially if there is a chance some liquid will enter the vagina. This has always been satisfactory in my experience.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US