She turned 21 in April and has had seven foals, the last one being in 2004. She came into foal heat at five days and we re bred her to the same stallion. Stallion owner bred her every day for a week. She went out of heat and we had her u/s at around seventeen days. She was confirmed in foal. We brought her home around the first of June. Then about August we noticed some discharge and had the vet out to check her, was told she was still in foal. Gave mare last pneumabort shot in March, when our vet didn't think she looked big enough to be pregnant. He palpated and she was declared open. I'm not sure what happened if it was related to breeding during foal heat, or missed twins, or something went wrong with the baby. I was told this year by a specialist that breeding in early foal heat has a high rate of early embryo loss.
Anyway we had a cytology done before breeding this year and it came back clear. Ordered semen but mare had ovulated when it arrived. We insemenated her anyway and she checked open at fourteen days. Missed her next cycle. When she came back in we ordered semen a day earlier, follicle was very soft when it arrived, insemenated and gave Hcg. Had her checked next morning and had ovulated. Yesterday she was checked at fourteen days and found open and a small follicle starting to come up. Our vet will be back out Monday to palpate and probably do another cytology, if it comes back clean he wants us to order semen.
This mare is very much worth breeding and has produced excellent quality foals in the past. The stud fee on the stallion was pricey and I really need to get this mare pregnant, I have two tries left per the contract.
Can anyone tell me if I need to do something differnt on this mare. She is the only mare out of four left to get pregnant. The stallion's semen is of good quality, so I don't think that is the problem. Also she is only insemenated once per cycle.
Sorry - I cant really help - not too much experience - my mare is pregnant but first time for me. Could it not be just because she lost the last one at such a late stage that is making it difficult - As I understand (as I nearly lost mine) If they abort after 35-40days they can belive they are still in foal and/or the ECG levels interfere with another conception. I remember reading something about the Endometrial Cups on a search engine that explained about the ECG levels and how it effectively meant not breeding again that year - www.pycock.co.uk/article9.htm
Not meaning to be discouraging - and like I say, Im REALLY Inexperienced...
From what has been written above, it appears that there has been minimal management of this mare. Remember that at 21 and 7 foals, that uterus is getting a little "worn"!!
A good starting point might be an endometrial biopsy. If you find you have a grade III endometrium, you can quit now and probably save a small fortune, as the likelihood of producing a live foal from a Grade III uterus is <10%. Note that is producing a live foal, not establishing a pregnancy. Getting them pregnant is sometimes the least of the trouble...! Endometrial firosis (detectable with a biopsy) is closely linked with pregnancy loss around 60-90 days.
If the biopsy score is good, then the next factor to look at is pre- and post-breeding uterine evaluations. Many of these older "used" mares have delayed uterine clearance issues, and need to be managed appropriately. Oxytocin therapy can be cheap, easy and highly effective in some of these mares (follow that link for more details). Note that there are even "tired uterus" mares that seem to benefit from the oxytocin therapy in the apparent absence of uterine fluid - it may be that it prevents the fluid forming (or pooling), or perhaps it simply assists in toning the uterus. I'd certainly give it a go - we've had excellent success with it.
I don't know how she was managed before we bought her. I bought her at 18 but didn't breed her until the next year. I do know that she was bred as a two year old for some reason or another and foaled as a three year old.
I forgot to mention above that she may have a progesterone problem. She checked normal low with her last foal. I don't know why we didn't have her levels checked again when we rebred her.
Another thing is I don't think this mare has ever been bred with anything but live cover. Could part of her problem be she needs the stallion interaction? We don't have a stallion at this time so I have no way of teasing her. I will be using oxytocin this next breeding.
Has anyone ever had luck with a teasing tape? I know I've seen them advertised before but can't find one now. This mare really likes the boys
Don't be too eager to jump on the "low progesterone" bandwagon! Take a look at the article about Regumate use on this web site (follow that link) and go from there...
When being teased by a stallion, mares release low levels of oxytocin. If she is a severe delayed uterine clearance case, then simply exposing the mare to the stallion will not prove sufficient to clear the fluid, but if she is borderline, it may. Oxytocin is cheap, so I would prefer to rely on its use rather that the stallion's ability to cause endogenous release in the mare.
Some people have reported success with the teasing tapes. We were sent one to try out some years ago, and it did not work with our research horses. One word of caution though - don't put it in the tape player in the car ... it really upsets the dogs - although that was the most reaction we got from any animal!!!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: