OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What tests are needed for problem mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » What tests are needed for problem mare? « Previous Next »

Peggy Burnham
Neonate
Username: Texas_gal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that i have had no luck getting in foal for the last three years. She will breed, and breed and breed. Then go out and come right back in again. Then the next year about the same thing. Only, inbetween the two breedings the next year i did have a culture done. It was negative. Then this year i bred her again twice, once with a different stallion. Not in foal. I may not have gotten her at exactly the right time on the second stallion.

I need to have an evaluation done to find out her problem. What tests do i need to ask for.?

LRidgeway
Weanling
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess another Culture and a Biopsy..you also might try tracking her cycle via US/Palp..

I found with one mare that I have, she ovulates within 24 hours of coming into heat, then continues to show signs of heat for 5 days afterward..

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.200
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As with the above post, there are those mares with an unusually small window for conception. These mares must be tracked with utltra sound and inseminated at 35.

When you say that she breeds, and breeds and breeds, how many times is she covered per cycle? You could be covering her too many times which may cause a delayed uterine clearance. Oxytocin may be something that you would want to incorporate into your breeding routine.

Peggy
Neonate
Username: Texas_gal

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure what the problem is. When i bought her she was in foal and had a 1 month old by her side. She was pasture bred both times.

I tried breeding her to my stallion with no luck, it turns out he was sterile and had to be gelded. Another story. So some time was wasted there.

Then i took her to an outside stallion. He hand bred her and i got a nice half arabian filly. I took her back to him and he bred her when the filly was about a month old. She did not take and he went on vacation and then it was late in the year and we decided to wait until the next year. (which was last year)

Last year i took her back and left her. He put her in a pen with the stallion and they pretty much pasture bred. She stayed in heat for about 2 weeks. She was in with him the whole time. When she went out i brought her home and she immediately showed signs of heat to a young colt i had.

I took her to the vet and had her cultured to make sure she had no infection and she was clean. So i took her back and again she stayed for about 2 weeks breeding with him. In the pen together. She did not get into foal and he said that he felt that he had fulfilled his obgligation to breed her.

This year I had the vet out to check her out before i started trying to breed. When he did he said that she was "ready" right then. She had not even shown that she was in heat that i had noticed. I decided to try the same stallion again because i liked the foal i got from him before. So I paid another breeding fee and took her back again with the vet telling me that he did not see anything wrong with her.

I missed that heat cycle because i could not get in touch with the breeder. But i did get her there the next time. Again she stayed nearly 2 weeks pasture breeding in the pen.

I had her ultrasounded and she was not in foal. I told the vet that she always looked "messy" when she came back from being with him. So we decided that as soon as she ovulated we would flush her out.

When i called him , i could not get in touch with him to take her back over. In the meantime i purchased my own stallion and made a decision to just write that off as a loss.

I bred her once early in her heat cycle and the stallion ended up hurting his leg and we lost that cycle. She has come back in and seems to stay in long. I have not tried her again as i have another mare i am breeding to him and i did not want to take a chance of her having something that could be passed on to the other mare via the stallion.

I even talked to a psychic about her and he said that she had to much acidity in her system. Either from something lacking in her diet or because she was stressed causeing acidity. I can not tell that she has any stress or anxiety. If anyone has any info about acidity and what to do about it , i would be grateful. At this point i would try anything.

I want to get any tests done that need to be done before i try her again. I really want to get her bred.

TX Breeder (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 199.3.209.114
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you use any hCG to insure ovulation? Could be that she was not ovulating when she needed to be.

2 weeks in acutal heat is not normal. She could have a persistant follicle that needs stimulation to ovulate.

Again, I will suggest Oxytocin and hand breeding so that you know when, and how many times she has been covered. So many things have a hand in conception, after all, the horse is the least fertile of all domesticated animals.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US