OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Oxytocin

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Oxytocin « Previous Next »

Linda Price
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When treating a mare post breeding who has a problem with delayed uterine clearance, you advise giving the oxytocin IM....this probably slows the absorption of the drug as opposed to SQ?
Can you explain!!
Thanks !
Linda

Jos
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I recommend using the Oxytocin IM rather than IV, not SQ (for those readers who may not be familiar with the definitions of the abbreviations, they are intramuscular (IM); intravenous (IV); subcutaneous (SQ)).

The IV route will give a very rapid rush, whereas the IM route slows it slightly. In either case, it will still be cleared fairly rapidly (the half-life of Oxytocin is 12 minutes), and this is why some clinicians are using the Prostaglandin analogue Cloprostenol, which has a similar involutory action on the uterus, but will remain active over a longer period.

For more information on this, see this article.

Hope this helps.

Linda Price
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 05:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what are the results then (if any) when oxytocin is used SQ for delayed clearance? Does this route of administration (SQ) decrease the effectiveness of the drug?
Is the drug Cloprosternol new for vets to use? Would this be the drug of choice to reach for when treating a older mare with delayed clearance?
it just seems that the drug reached for is the oxytocin...without question!!
Thanks!
Linda

Jos
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2000 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not aware of anyone who has intentionally used Oxytocin SQ. It's recommended route of administration is IM or IV. SQ would I believe result in a less effective response.

Cloprostenol has been around for years, it is actually a cattle drug, that is used in the same manner as "Lutalyse" is in horses - i.e. to induce estrus by destroying the CL. It is a synthetic prostaglandin. It has also been used for many years in horses in the place of "Lutalyse" or other prostaglandin products, as it is less inclined to elicit the dramatic sweating and colic-like response that prostaglandin does. Cloprosenol is marketed under the trade name of "Estrumate".

It has been noted by some that Cloprostenol will cause involution of the uterus, just as prostaglandin products will (you could also use prostaglandin instead of Oxytocin). The reason that Oxytocin tends to be reached for first is that it is the hormone that causes the involution naturally (for example it has a large part to play in the foaling process).

I would feel comfortable using either Oxytocin or Cloprostenol when following my 6 hour protocol. If I was not going to give as many doses as that protocol calls for, I may be inclined to use the Cloprostenol or Prostaglandin (both of which can be used SQ if you so desire!)

marsha fuzia
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,

A good friend of mine would like me to ask for your reccommended use of oxytocin for pre and post breeding. She has used the drug in this manner before, but would like to get the maximum benefit, without overdosing in some way.

Thanks,
Marsha

Jos
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2001 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an article that deals with the use of oxytocin pre- and post-breeding in depth on this site available by "clicking" here.

Hope it helps.

Julie Englund
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,I read your article on oxytocin, thank you for all of the good information. I didn't find any specifics on a pre-breeding regimen. Any additional information in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you again,
Julie

Jos
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2001 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try 10 iu 2 times daily for the two days prior to breeding, or as your veterinarian recommends. Note that pre-breeding use is not indicated unless uterine fluid is detected.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US