OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Older mare with fluid in uterus...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Older mare with fluid in uterus... « Previous Next »

Laurie Ridgeway
Neonate
Username: Laurie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not expecting miracles, but would like to know if anyone has had success in Breeding a mare with the following problems.

I have a 20 year old mare (not a maiden), I purchased her in 2003, bred her, she was palpated in foal, in 2004 she ended up open and it was too late in the year to rebreed.

I tracked her heat cylces and bred her in the middle of april, and decided for now on I'm Ultra Sounding...

Last night took her to be Ultra Sounded at 24-25 days.

1. Initial thought was Uterus was larger than it should have been for 24-25 day embryo.

2. Turns out mare is not pregnant, but uterus is filled with fluid.

This could be why she palpated + in 2003.

3. Fluid in uterus is cloudy.

4. Cervix is closed really really tight.

Vet feels her chances of conception are slim to none, but we are going to give it the 'good ol college try' at least once.

So, on her next heat cycle, Vet will clean her up as best she can...

Then on the following heat cycle we'll Ultra Sound again to see if she is still clean. If she is, we'll breed, if she's not, I'll give up.

I purchased this mare with the hopes of getting just one foal out of her, she is one of the very last of her particular bloodline.

I'm willing to spend some $$ trying to get her clean.

I'll be reading everything I can possibly get my hands on, on the subject...

But am also interested in hearing any success stories.

edited to add: On her next heat we will also be culturing, not just cleaning.

Anonymous

Posted From: 68.223.110.38
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you really want to spend the money try embryo transfer with the univeristy of georgia or just try talking with Dr. Hoskens over there.

Also I have had success with oxytocin and there are some great articles on this site about that.

Laurie Ridgeway
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first thought was embryo transfer, but I was advised that if her uterus is not clean, when the embryo comes down it will not survive.

Can they harvest eggs right out of the ovary?

LRidgeway
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to give an update...

A few weeks ago we US again, there was an adheisan on her cervex, the Vet poked through it and we cultured the fluid in the uterus. Also drained the fluid inside (yellow/grey/ but not as smelly as you'd expect) lavaged her 3 times, by the 3rd time, the fluid was pretty clear coming out.

She had 3 days of oxytocin and is to go back on her first day of next cycle..

Spoke to the Vet last night and the culture came back clean ? Weird, but good news!!

So next time she goes back, we'll check for more fluid and decide where to go from there, but I'm very excited that the culture came back clean...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10154
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they run a culture for bacteria only, or did they also look for yeast? Note that a bacterial culture will not necesarily pick up a yeast infection.

What did the cytology look like? Although it is almost academic - with a "yellow/grey" fluid found in the uterus, you are going to find inflammatory cells in that fluid - and they're inflammatory for a reason. You need to find out what that reason is, and rectify it before you have a realistic hope of establishing and/or maintaining a pregnancy. The cytology smear may however show the presence of yeast.

(Message edited by Jos on June 16, 2005)

Carla Smith
Neonate
Username: Carlalyn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cloudy fluid is an infection of some kind for sure. I have a mare in which I'm having the same problem with at this time. She has been to one vet after the other, now I think I'll do it myself. I am presently flushing her with a sulfer antibiotic and praying this does the trick.

Sharon Malmberg
Neonate
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that was holding fluid. On the advice of her former owner, I bought a teaser stud--a 31" mini cute and manageable!

She's had 3 U/S since with no 'extra' fluid.

For whatever reason the oxytocin wasn't doing it for her, but the regular exposure to the teaser does.

Do the culturing and the smear. If there's an infection, got to get that cleared up first. I'm getting a blood panel done to check for any thyroid issues as well.

I know how you feel about getting a foal, I am pretty much in the same boat. I'm pulling for you and the mare, good luck!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10500
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon:

What protocol were you using for the oxytocin? How much and how often? I have never come across a situation where the correct and timely use of oxytocin has been less successful than teasing and would be interested to know more.

Sharon Malmberg
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting four hours after AI she got a shot every 6 hours (I gave 6 IM, the vet gave 2 2xdoses IV). So 48 hours of Oxy. By U/S there was no reduction of the fluid in the uterus. She concieved, but the vesicle began deteriorating after day 18 in the presence of the fluid.

The previous vet did not comment on how tight her cervix was, the new vet has commented that it was very tight considering where she was in her cycle. Which obviously contributes to the clearance problem. Since having the teaser around the cervix is now softening and firming with her cycle as it should.

I have not bred her yet this year, so I can not say for sure if the AI fliuds will clear in a timely fashion, but she is no longer carrying any 'extra' fluid which is an improvement over last year. Previous owners had 5 foals in 6 years using a teaser. She's 0 for 2years without the teaser.

I have a lovely steep hill she and I are going to take a walk up about 4 hours after breeding this year as well.

Desperate times, desperate measures!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10505
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much oxytocin per treatment?

Sharon Malmberg
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know the exact amount. She's a 'smaller' mare a little over 1000lbs. If I'm remembering correctly the volume something like 1.5cc, but I can't tell you the dilution.

She isn't very responsive to most medications. They had to give her a double dose of Lutalyze to get a follicle started when we short cycled.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US