What breeding regiment would you follow for a mare with a biopsy that indicates chronic endometritis and possible infection? Would it make sense to put her on antibiotics before breeding? How about doing antibiotic flushes before insemination? I am assuming one should flush post insemination. How many times and what methods?
Is it better just not to get into breeding a mare with these problems? This mare foaled once at a younger age, but the current owner doesn’t know anything about the situation. She is now 14, and the owner would like to breed her. Tried breeding last year a couple cycles and thought the mare was pregnant but had an EED—just guessing because she had a delayed cycle.
Is this horse worth breeding? As in does she have $$$ value, or whatever? It is going to cost major bucks to clear out the infection - she'll probably never take/stay pregnant as long as even slightly infected. Then there is the cost of breeding her - you can't take any chances on her getting any dirt, etc. in there, as will start the problem all over - so that means AI, and $$ spent on palpations, stallion semen collection/storage, etc. I would only recommend it if she is an expensive animal, etc. Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh, but had mare brought to me with same condition (found out AFTER we wasted several mths. breeding her - was told she'd been checked, etc.) Vet said it would cost anywhere from $500-$750 just to get her thru 1 breeding attempt, and no guarantee she'd take on that try. AND< if infection starts up again, have to do the whole thing over again. Also, if her uterus is badly scarred from the infection, she still might not carry to term, even with infection eliminated.
Thanks for the post. The owner has decided not to breed the mare--for all the reasons you said.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: