OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Thyroid or Hormones?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Thyroid or Hormones? « Previous Next »

KARA PANNELL
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2000 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone please help me with knowing what are the signs in looking for a thyroid problem. What breeding problems can it cause?
Also, what is a T4 test?

I have a miniature mare, who is a problem breeder.
I have had a hormone test done on day 2 or 3 of 9 day cycle resulting in Estrogen less than 20 ng/ml,
and proges. 0.5. But lab wouldnt help explaining results.
I dont know if these are even normal.

Some people have suggested Thyroid.r
The mare has been bred three regumate and Prostag.
induced cycles, HCG given on 6 day, and Regumate started again. Then ultrasounded at 15-20 days, no pregnancies. The vet said he has trouble getting to her ovaries with ultrasound probe, as she starts getting quite agitated about the exam.

I know this is long and complicated, but I am so confused and running out of money...........
The mare is 17 by the way and has had this problem all her life , only a couple foals or so. The owners have no breeding history, except she is a problem breeder.
PLEASE HELP.........Or recommend someone.
cnndnr@yahoo.com (My thanks to taking the time to read this)

Jos
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2000 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Low Thyroid is the cause of Cushing's disease in horses. Amongst other things, symptoms can be obesity; not shedding out the winter coat in the spring; anestrus (no estrus) or poor reproductive ability (either conceiving or maintaining a pregnancy).

T4 is the test for Thyroxin levels, and is more commonly referred to as "Total T4" or "TT4"

A full outline of Thyroid levels can be obtained on the BET labs site by clicking here

I am unsure at exactly what point in your mare's estrous cycle the blood sample was taken. You indicate "day 2 or 3 of 9 day cycle", but the mare's estrous cycle is 21 days long. The estrus (or "heat") stage is usually 5 to 7 days in duration. During estrus, Progesterone levels should be lower than 1 ng/ml, and in fact should be 0; estrogen levels on the other hand rise the closer to ovulation the mare gets, and reach a peak about 24-48 hours prior to ovulation. In diestrus (out of "heat") the reverse values are true. Progesterone rises to above 4 ng/ml; estrogen levels bottom out. It should be noted that Progesterone levels will not reach maximum heights until at least 5 days after ovulation.

As the mare is an older mare, I would suggest that the Thyroid level may be a consideration, but also that you check the mare for fluid in the uterus both pre- and post-breeding. Older mares can often have a problem clearing such fluid, and it will result in an inhospitable environment for the conceptus, and will result in resorbtion of the pregnancy. Treatment for this can be found by clicking here.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask more!

KARA ANNELL
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2000 - 05:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent off a T4 test on this mare, I'll let you all know........
Thanks,
Kara

Todd (129.130.129.113)
Posted on Thursday, March 28, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos,
I know this is an old list, and maybe you've studied a little since then but Cushing's Disease is hypoadrenocortism, (ie. low cortisol). Although the measurement of T4 (which is mainly used to test for thyroid diseases) is used in conjunction with the ACTH stim test, insulin levels, etc to diagnose cushings, it is not THE recommended test to diagnose it. Cushing's disease in the equine is most commonly secondary to an adenoma or hyperplasia of the pars intermedia of the pituitary. The unjustified recommendation of medical tests and treatments by somebody that is not qualified to give them should be and is frowned upon. This is a problem everywhere and overall your comments are very good, the point is that veterinarians are highly and painfully trained individuals that have at one time learned all this stuff, and they should be the the first to be involved with a diagnosis or treatment. Good Day, Todd

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US