OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Uterine Tone

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Uterine Tone « Previous Next »

Donna Harrington
Posted From: 4.243.179.73
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an 11 year old maiden mare. Culture and cytology clean. Bred 2x with frozen semen using deep horn insemination. Pregnant first time - lost baby in first 30 days. Second time, mare placed on regumate day 5 and on thyroid med b/c of low thyroid. Checked day 19 using u/s, no baby. My vet said her uterus was "flaccid." A breeding friend thought the lack of tone of her uterus was odd given that she was on regumate. Should I be concerned?

Anonymous

Posted From: 216.148.248.31
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure wish someone would answer this as I have a mare I just purchased that we checked today and my vet said her uterus was 'soft' and on the ultra sound it looked to have a (cystal effect)as in not being fluid but something else. Not sure what that was all about. We flushed her with a saline solution and did another ultrasound and he said the uterus looked better. The fluid that came out from the saline solution was clear with no pus or anything that looked abnormal. Any thoughts? Am I looking at a mare with homornal issues?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10090
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The use of terms such as "flaccid" or "soft" are very subjective, and my "soft" could be someone else's "moderate". It is therefore difficult to use such terminology meaningfully.

Anonymous - I am unsure of the terminology you are using ("cystal effect"). Perhaps you could clarify it a little, and then maybe we can try and offer some sort of explanation :-)

Kathy T (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 63.228.79.14
Posted on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience, the term "flaccid" usually refers to lack of tone. During the breeding season, a mare's uterus is flaccid when in estrus and has increased tone when in diestrus or pregnant. It would be necessary to look at the ovaries to see what they are doing since, when the mares are in heat, you should see some follicular activity. It would be unusual to see a mare in estrus while on regumate.
Anonymous - 'soft' doesn't mean much to me either. If it was flaccid and the flush was clean, maybe what was seen was uterine edema, which on ultasound has a "wagon wheel" appearence. Which would mean she was in estrus. Again, what did the ovaries look like.
I agree with Jos, terminology and the translation between what the vet said and what you remember hearing makes it difficult to interpret. Remember to always ask your vet for clarification if you do not understand what he/she is saying. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Posted From: 152.163.100.13
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a call from my vet saying the mare that I was referring to as having a 'soft' uterus was indeed infected according to the culture. Some sort of E.Coli infection but cannot remember the first part of it. I will try and get my vet to write it down for me tomorrow. I believe what my vet was getting at was that the ultrasound of the uterus was cloudy and not black from what I think you normally see when the uterus has fluid in it. It was probably just his way of trying to get me to understand what I was seeing on the screen.
My question now is we are going to start her tomorrow on an antibiotic flush. Is there any benefit to use oxytocin after a flush to help clear fluid? And if the mare is nearing the end of her heat will the cervix remain open enough to clear the solution or will we have to wait for her next cycle? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first dirty mare experience.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US