OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mares, trauma, abortion, adema- argh

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Mares, trauma, abortion, adema- argh « Previous Next »

Frustrated Mare Owner
Posted From: 69.138.166.160
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello- I highly respect this site, so I thought I would turn here for some help.
Quick recap of the problem- my mare broke her hock last year (BAD break, shattered). She healed better than the vets or surgeons anticipated and we bred her in March as she was 100% pasture sound.
So, a few (3-4) weeks ago out of the blue she is dead lame on that leg at the trot and canter- 3 legged, won't even touch it to the ground. Vet comes out, doesn't find anything new, but gives me a heart to heart about what I should do with her after she foals if she remains in this state of lameness.
Now at 4 months pregnant- she's slightly (very slight but she is maiden) bagging up and clear fluid in udder, no discharge or anything from the vulva. My vet says he thinks it's adema but more like she aborted or is getting ready to. He is coming out tomorrow and if the foal is still there we'll put her on Regumate, and a couple other things he suggested.
Could anything else cause this? Should I try to be optimistic or did she most likely abort? If she aborted, what are the odds of getting her back in foal, or should I not even try? She is soundish to walk and will put weight on the leg, but trot and canter is pretty bad.
Sorry for the book- I could just really use some advise. Thanks.

Liz H.
Posted From: 64.12.116.22
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she truely is in the process of aborting.. I am not sure if putting her on regumate will help.
Before you do that make sure the fetus is still viable meaning you have a heartbeat... if no heartbeat can be found then there is no sense in prolonging the pregnancy and it can cause other problems

As to rebreeding the mare.. much willdepend on how she comes through her current ordeal and how comfortable you can make her.

if the lameness disappears once she is back to her pre pregancy wght and no edema then I might suspect that any pregnancy might cause the lameness to return...

Has the vet given you any idea as to the cause of lameness? Does he suspect pos Nerve impingement due to swelling?

I am sorry this is happening and I wish you luck

FrustratedMareOwner
Posted From: 169.135.8.46
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liz, thanks for getting back to me. The vet will check the pregnancy today and we will go from there, I suppose. I also questioned the value of the Regumate (other than costing me a lot of money) at this point in the game. Last night when I spoke to my vet he was talking about keeping her on it the rest of her pregnancy (IF she is still pregnant) and I don't know if that makes enough of a difference to be worth the cost.

As far as the lameness- we did a full array of x-rays and tests at the onset. There was no new damage to the bone or ligaments from what could be seen, but a very large amount of calcification and scarring. The recommendation was to put her on MSM and inject the hock after she foals. The injured hock has been 2 x the size of the other hock since the break, and pretty lumpy. The appearance of it has not changed. She does get horribly uncomfortable when she is stalled for long periods and very unwilling to walk off (this has been the case the whole time, but has gotten worse). The more she moves around the better it gets, but compared to how it was doing, I'de say it's 60% worse and has remained that way for almost a month.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US