OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Yeast infection? candita?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Yeast infection? candita? « Previous Next »

Dani
Posted From: 66.112.76.156
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested in buying a 19year old broodmare with a yeast infection. How difficult is this type of infection to clear up? And what does it take...besides infusion?

Anonymous
Posted From: 161.114.1.182
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that was diagnosed in February with a yeast infection and it took until June to clean her up, only to have her not conceive when we bred her.

I hope you have better success than I've had.

Cathy
Posted From: 66.186.79.85
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

History
-4 year old healthy homebred mare foaled a normal foal May 18 2004 following normal pregnancy. She was bred once by AI in 2003 and conceived.
-Mare had a vaginal prolapse 1 week after foaling which resolved itself
-Culture and cytology done 2 weeks following foaling, came back clean
-mare bred by AI, reputable breeding facility, end of May
-mare failed to ovulate, checked by unltrasound
-mare rebred by AI 30 days following foaling
-Mare checked by ultrasound 14 days following breeding, open and fluid found and evidence of short cycling
-Mare had swab and cytology redone
-Mare rebred by AI
-Mare treated with antibiotic when infection was grown but prior to getting sensativity or results since she had already been bred.
- Fungal infection was identified
- Mare treated with Program
- Culture, biopsy and cytology redone and mare was found to have both bacterial and fungal infection and 2a uterus.
-Mare retreated with human yeast infection medication (Monistat) and antibiotic that the bacteria showed sensitivity to once per day over a 5 day period. Caslicks put in even though mare appears to have good reproductive conformation.
-Plan is to redo culture and cytolgy.
Any other thoughts or suggestions as to how to get rid of the fungal infection if it is still there. Any thoughts on why this mare picked up the fungus in the first place. Thanks

Jamie T
Posted From: 66.100.119.81
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, Please let us know how this goes with your mare. I have a mare that is in a similar situation, but my mare is 20. We have treated her and she has cleaned up the fungus. I will try to find out what was used to clear up the fungus.

Hang in there. I know it is very frustrating!

Cathy
Posted From: 209.91.149.188
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me what they used to clear up a yeast infection. The results of the culture and cytology done last week were very discouraging. The mare still has the fungus and an E Coli infection as well, despite the treatment outlined above. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to clear this mare up even if she can not ever be bred again.
Thanks Cathy

Jamie T.
Posted From: 66.100.119.81
Posted on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the vet used Nystatin on my mare. It was a 4 day treatment that cleared up the fungus. I don't know much about the drug except that it worked.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the information. Is it possible for you to find out more information regarding the treatment such as dosage, strength, and method of administration. Thanks for your help.
Cathy

Jos
Posted From: 165.247.169.122
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A recently developed treatment for intra-uterine yeast/fungis in the mare uses Programtm, the canine flea control. You might want to discuss this with your veterinarian.

Here is the reference and abstract:

J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002 Jul 15;221(2):266-7, 240.

Use of lufenuron as a treatment for fungal endometritis in four mares.

Hess MB, Parker NA, Purswell BJ, Dascanio JD.

Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, USA.

Lufenuron, a benzoylphenyl urea derivative, was evaluated as a treatment for endometrial fungal infections in 4 mares. Intrauterine lavage was performed with lufenuron suspended in sterile saline (0.9% NaCl) solution. Cytologic evaluation and fungal culture of the endometrium, as well as subsequent reproductive performance, were used to monitor efficacy of this treatment. Fungal endometritis in mares is associated with infertility. Treatment is often ineffective and costly, and recurrence following treatment is not uncommon. Intrauterine infusions of lufenuron were effective in eliminating fungal endometritis in the 4 mares of this report.

Cathy
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your response Jos. As outlined in the treatment above we have already tried Program. So far we have used the Program on the first try. Culture and Cytology following treatment showed a 4+ amount of both fungus and bacteria. So we followed it by a treatment using Monistat human preparation over a 5 day period with the antibiotic the bacteria was sensitive to. Culture and Cytology done last week still shows E Coli and Fungus at a 4+ amount. What do you think we should do next?
Thanks Cathy

Jos
Posted From: 165.247.189.71
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about reinventing the wheel... wasn't paying close enough attention to previous posts.... :-(

Was the Lufenuron (Programtm used only intra-uterine, or was it also used in the vaginal/clitoral regions? It is possible that intra-uterine use alone resulted in initial clearance of the uterus, but did not prevent reinfection from environmental (vaginal/clitoral) presence. I would be concerned about ensuring the clearance of the pathogen completely from any possible invasive regions.

WRT your wondering where the infection originated from, you probably answered the question with your observation: "Mare treated with antibiotic when infection was grown but prior to getting sensativity or results since she had already been bred". When a mare is treated with intrauterine antibiotics, there is always the possibility of the creation of a "superinfection". This is a situation that is parallel to a woman who is treated with antibiotics subsequently developing a vaginal yeast infection.

I think if this were my mare I would contemplate retreating with the Programtm and taking care that not only the uterus were treated, but the vaginal and clitoral areas also receive a treatment (i.e. in addition to a full dose being placed intrauterine).

If you (or your vet) feels that this has already been achieved with the prior treatment, then perhaps use of a different agent may be warranted. Certainly the human yeast medications have been seen to work well, but it is necessary to increase the dosage in addition to the duration. I note that your prior treatment with such an agent was carried out over a 5 day period, which is good, but the dosage is typically 3 times that of the human - was this increase performed (I suspect so, as it seems that your vet is "on the money" so far)? If not, it may be worth trying.

Then we get to the outer fringes of veterinary treatments... it has been seen that infusions with other intrauterine agents such as diluted Tea Tree Oil or Grapefruit Seed Extract may show good effect if used to treat fungal infections. These are not scientifically proven, but clinically they have showed good results with some mares.

Note that the e-coli may be a contaminant. It is a common pathogen found in manure. Note also that fungus is well known to be difficult to dislodge... but then you already know that... :-(

Cathy
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos
-The mare was treated in vaginal/clitoral region following one treatment of Program. The uterus was flushed first and the Program inserted diluted in sterile saline.
-Monistat dosage was 2 prefilled applicaters of 3 day treatment human dosage per day, over 5 day period during which caslicks was put in.
-The fungal infection was there prior to the antibiotic infusion following breeding as the culture and cytology was done before that happened. Prior to that no antibiotic had been used so the fungus came first.
Question - Would you still try the Program again? Was one infusion enough?
With regards to the E Coli would you treat it at the same time as the fungus, before, after, or would you consider it a contaminant and check with culture and cytology following fungal treatment?
Thanks Cathy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US