OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Persistent follicle

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Persistent follicle « Previous Next »

Janet George
Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 14 year old TB mare which we failed to get in foal last year. (She was/is a maiden.) She came into season and showed well in January - far too early for us!

From April, we only managed to catch her in season once - and she showed and stood for less than 24 hours. We covered her - no good! We PG'd her three more times - she failed to come into season (or if she did, she kept it very quiet!)

Now we're trying again. Again she was showing in season in January! At the end of April, we PG'd her - and she stood for 24 hours. Got her covered once - not in foal. Scanned her last Friday, there was a 35 mm follicle on the left ovary. Teased her and teased her until the stallion nearly went on strike - nothing! Scanned her again today (1 week later) and there's a 55 mm follicle on the left ovary - but my vet didn't like the look of it and says he thinks it's a persistent follicle.

Any suggestions on the best way to get this mare sorted?

Janet George
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well - she's sorted. We got rid of the follicle and I sent her to Twemlows (big AI centre with a very good stud vet!) They scanned her and scanned her - then AI'd her - and she took first time!

So she's now in foal to HM The Queen's coloured stallion, Oberon and came home today! I'll worry about next year, next year!

Jos
Posted From: 137.186.22.28
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my suggestion would be to send her to the Matson's :-)

For future reference... there is an article about annovulatory hemorraghic follicles on the web site. About 85% of them will develop luteal tissue and respond to prostaglandin, while the remaining 15% will not, and all you can do is sit and stare at them and swear about them for the next two months or so until they resolve. AHF's as a whole are typified by a large size, and echoic matter in the fluid. Very distinctive on ultrasound.

Janet George
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice idea - but defeats the purpose of having my own stallion somewhat. Tullis is coming down to have a go at teaching my boy to ground collect (not worth spending a FORTUNE on equipment I'll use a few times a year)and if it works .......

It looks like her biggest problem is the silent heats - but if we scan her often enough and AI her when she's READY - I should be able to get a PROPER (Irish Sport Horse) foal from her.

Jos
Posted From: 137.186.22.157
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good... Say hullo to Tullis for me (he probably remembers me as the somewhat crazy Canadian that freezes semen :-) ). If your stallion will ground collect, then if you're only inseminating your own mares on farm, you can certainly get away with a bare minimum of equipment.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US