So heres the thing, I am the owner of an 17 year old quarter horse mare, with a great confirmation and temperment. I was boarding her at a friends farm for the past few years. They bought a yearling gelding last year, and brought him home. The two of them have become fast friends. One of the farms owners noticed a month ago the 'gelding' mounting my mare. We, I have to say, thought nothing of it. He was a 'gelding' after all. Well last week while having a bath, his owners noticed a testicle. Not so much of a gelding after all. We know she was in heat not so long ago, but arent exactly sure when. We are having the vet come out shortly, but I am not even sure what I should be asking her. I know we can flush her, but I am not so totally advers to a foal. But what would that do to my lovely mare? Is this even possible? We are deffinatly having the vet check our little stud out, and having her palpitated. It doenst seem like a good thing that one testicle has appeared out of no where. The vet said that one in a thousand colts is born with three testicles. Is this true? I cant imagine that him retaining this mystery testicle this long is a good thing. Nor can I imagine my mare with a foal at foot at 18. I am just not sure what my options are, or even what I should be asking. I have loved all 15 years I have had with my horse, but never did it enter my mind to breed her. So I feel a little unprepared for this. I want to do right by her though. Any insight, comments or general advise and help would be MOST welcome
Just another thing to add after having read others posts. I have done absolutly no prep work, this situation was very unexpected. She has had no tests done, never had an ultrasound, or any other invasive procedure save teeth floating. She is sound, but has lost a touch of weight this winter, she needs to get her teeth done, and wintered outside this year and is a bit rough around the edges, but should catch up weight wise in the next week or two. She has regular shots and worming and lives 80% outside and is very rarely ridden. (I felt she earned her retierment) Thanks in advance Christine
"It doenst seem like a good thing that one testicle has appeared out of no where. The vet said that one in a thousand colts is born with three testicles."
Was this the same vet who gelded the horse by any chance?
Some colts MAY be born with 3 testicles (although I doubt it's as many as 1 in a thousand and I certainly haven't heard of ONE) but an awful lot only drop one by the time they are gelded. Lots of vets are happy to geld a horse, even though they are not equine specialists, and a lot of horses are left as rigs - often with no visible testicle or - as in this case - one that 'appears out of nowhere' rather later than it should. At least they'll be able to geld him properly now!
As to your primary concern - whether to allow your mare to STAY in foal if she is in foal?
At 17, she is a little older than I like a mare to be for 1st foal - it does increase the risks slightly.
And is the colt one you would WANT a foal by (the fact that he was gelded would suggest he was not good enough to be a stallion.)
So if you let a pregnancy continue, you put your mare at some risk - and your bank balance too - for a foal by a nondescript 'sire'. Personally, I would not want the risk to the mare and the expense involved for THIS foal (unless the gelding was absolutely exceptional!)
Christine Posted From: 184.108.40.206
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:07 pm:
Funny you should ask about this vet. Your assumption was correct. This 'sire' is the result of a PMU oppereation, the vet mainly works on cattle, there are no equine vets for over 150 klms. This fact alone has weighted my decision. I have pretty much decided to flush her. I dont think its worth the risk. The people who own the farm where she is kept are willing to keep the foal. But I cant see it as a responsible thing, keeping this foal. My mare is very very well built, but he on the other hand doenst really 'snap', if you know what I mean. He is a fine horse but doenst knock me out or anything. There are enough 'that will do' foals out there. And if they really want a foal they could probably pick one up from a PMU sale in the fall for a couple hundred bucks. It would kill me to see my mares foal at one of those foals, which I think I would be condemming it to. Thanks for clarifying what I was thinking and dealing with.
Hi: I have a 24 year old Arabian mare, that I have bred before, produced a wonderful, healthy filly that is 3. I just had my mare checked, and she has some uterus infection, due to her sunken anal area allowing some bacteria to enter. We are having her flushed. She is in heat now. We live in Tucson AZ, and if I breed her it would be an April baby...going into our hottest season. Should I risk it? I would love to get one more baby off her.....Help.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: