OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare's weight drops after birth

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Mare's weight drops after birth « Previous Next »

Valerie Peppers
Posted From: 166.102.81.240
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a rather large, 17.3hh, Hanoverian Mare who I recently bred. During her pregnancy, it was hard keeping weight on her despite all of the extra feedings and servings given to her. She finally fattened up, just in time for the birth. Once the baby arrived, the mare was brought back down. She started out in great health, with lots of muscle and weight. Now it's hard to get her to gain any weight at all. I've done any and every kind of testing on her, and everything has come up negative. What could be wrong with her? If you know any weight gaining tricks, please let me know. She's in decent weight right now, but I like to have my horses a little bit more round than neccessary. Thank you very much.
Here are pictures of her before her birthing, and pictures of the filly she produced.
http://www.msnusers.com/valeriesonlinehorses

Heidi
Posted From: 67.51.241.61
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valerie,

Some things that may help you keep weight on your mare is to add beet pulp and oil to her daily diet. We feed it year round and have had great results. The beet pulp adds roughage and the oil (I use Pro-Fat-available thru Purina) adds calories.

When our mares are 9 months or so along we also add Calf-Manna to their daily diet. Just one scoop (included in the bag) twice a day really seems to help them out.

With a foal on her it is going to be hard to add weight to the mare after she foals. You have to get her built up before she foals and then add to her feed as the foal grows to make up for what she is putting out in milk production for the foal as it grows.

There are also many daily mineral products available for the mare and growing foal, usually added once or twice a day. Two that I can think of are Pennwoods Products and Dac. Either one of these companies would be happy to visit with you about their products.

Hope this helps.
Heidi

Shauna
Posted From: 128.227.219.178
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valerie,
One of the things to consider in the big mares is whether they have any metabolism problems. For some of them, adding oil to the diet certainly helps to manage.
The mares will go down and can be very hard to keep weight on despite buckets of well managed feed. One of our mares was a big hanoverian, and went down in condition. The more we fed her, the more her baby gained weight! What a good mother...The inspection judges told us that we should have weaned the baby much sooner....

Our management to maintain healthy weight and healthy coats is similar to the above poster. We add calf manna throughout pregnancy and lactation. We use a high quality sweet feed with high levels of fat (up to 8-10%), and then add oil. Rice bran products only give up to 25% fat, whereas corn or canola (higher omega 3's) oil will add calories very quickly. We haven't had to go as far as beet pulp (here in Florida it gets rancid quite quickly) but freechoice salt and mineral is important.

I think it's important to remember to keep the management fairly simple - good quality grain, alfalfa/grass hay, and then calorie boosters.

Most likely, your mare is just producing well, and that's not unusual. However, to look into it further as it sounds you have, I would list worms (sometimes can be overwhelming even with routine deworming - have you done a fecal analysis?), consider allergens - is the hay of good quality and clean? then consider other less common problems: stress (protective constantly, irritation at the other horses), diarrhea, underlying disease.

But if you could get her to gain before parturition, sounds like you have ruled out the obvious, and may just have a mare that is a good mother...

Good luck,
Shauna

debbiedecutter
Posted From: 4.10.182.32
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valerie, I would concur with much of the previous posts. One thing no one has mentioned, is has this mare had thorough dental work by a practioner with updated dental skills in the last few months.
I use a rice bran pellet by Nutrena called "Empowered" and I also feed soybean oil. If purchased at the right place such as Costco you can purchase a 35 pound jug for about 12.95 so is very cost effective. I also use a product similar to Calf Manna called "Milk Plus" made by Cargill, however I usually wait until the latter part of the pregnancy when I am trying to build the mare for her milk production and then keep her on it throughout lactation. Beet pulp is another great inexpensive way to get gain on a horse. There is also a product called "Pounds" which is made in Oregon that I have had good results with on a hard keeper. Best of luck.
Debbie

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US