OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can the vet be wrong about mare being pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Can the vet be wrong about mare being pregnant? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 66.153.173.112
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, I have a 13-15 yr old mare, had her a little over a year and bred her a month and a half to 2 months after getting her. She has been said to have had a foal before, years ago. First of all I would like to say that I am not experienced with breeding and wasnt sure if she was in season, but as soon as I put her in with the stallion she did seem to be winking and teasing and leaking, and I have been told that a mare can go into season when put with a stallion, by the way, she did this when I first got her and put her in with my 2 geldings, she was certainly in season, even made my gelding mount her...anyways I left her with the stallion for a week, and he mounted her several times, (she let him after a couple hours)So then about 4 to 5 months after she was bred, I had her checked and the vet did not feel a baby...but as time has gone on, she has got very big in the belly, I have had her wormed regularly and had her vacc.She is free grazing and we only feed her a scoop of dry pellets in the morning. She would be aprox. 341 days gestation. I have not seen any bagging up, but she has been yawning alot more and it does seem that her milk veins have got thicker and fuller. And yesterday I was behind her and saw her switching her tail and saw a clearish sticky substance coming from her vulva..Her stride does seem longer and she is just huge, it does appear that she has a lower belly as well as extremly wide. Also after reading through the posts, I saw about the fescue fungus and I can almost bet I have that in my pasture, and if so and she is pregnant this isnt good. I am going to have the vet out at the end of the week, but I hope its not too late if she is pregnant. So I would really like some fast advise so I dont continue to worry myself sick. I have basically thought all along that she wasnt pregant since the vet said so, but I am going to be highly upset if she was and I didnt take her off the pasture a couple months ago to protect her from this fescue.
So the questions are...
1. If she took the stallion, chances are she went into season and that is true that they can throw into season when put with a stallion?
2.What would the sticky slimy stuff be coming from her vulva?Is that normal for a mare getting ready to foal?
3. Has anyone heard of a vet being wrong with a rear end check at nearly 5 months?..(dont know the term for this..:-)
4. Does it sound like she is pregnant?

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention also that I have never seen her go into season since I bred her. And I can not tell for sure whether or not her back end has dropped any or whether her vulva is larger or looser, it does appear to me, but I keep thinking I am just hoping that it is...lol...I just want some answers and it will be a few days before the vet can come out. Any advise is very appreciated. Thanks

Mane Tyme Morgans
Posted From: 66.186.161.201
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is she bagging up? Whats her udder look like and feel like.

It is possible to do a palpation at that time and not beable to feel the baby.

Have you read any books on breeding. Try blessed is the broodmares. Its an excellant book.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, no she does not apprear to be bagging up in the utter, just the milk veins seem swollen, and bigger. I taLked to a friend last night who has stables and is a horse trainer and she said she didnt think we would have the fescue here. She is a pony horse and is only about 13.5 hands, I am hearing that sometimes ponies go longer?? I guess its a waiting game at least untill I can get a vet out here.

Janie Marie
Posted From: 208.17.64.30
Posted on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello! My 10 yr. old (probably not a maiden mare) quarter horse has been determined to be pregnant, estimated to be due this month...by the stable owner, who has bred her own mares, and by an EXTERNAL exam by a vet (the vet is pregnant and couldn't risk doing a palpation). She's "bagging up," several of us have felt, what we thought was, the foal move. Her belly is very low and butt is up. Her right side bulges out more than the left. We've seen her begin to wax. Nonetheless, another vet came out, palpatated her, and said he she's NOT pregnant, just hormonal. Is there anyway he's mistaken??

Anyssapark
Posted From: 202.92.102.220
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janie,
By the sounds of your mare, she is certainly showing all the signs of being pregnant, and the fact that she is bagging up AND waxing, and all this at the right time, makes me think that she is pregnant. I breed miniature horses, and i have just been surprised with a lovely little colt, that the whole way through the pregnancy was never have supposed to exist (according to the vet). So yes, it is very possible that the mare is pregnant. All the signs are certainly pointing that way, and the fact that you have felt the foal would make it a HUGE coincidence if she wasnt pregnant. Goodluck, let me know what happens!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US