OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding a Show Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Breeding a Show Mare « Previous Next »

Elizabeth Wingsmith
Posted From: 63.242.124.10
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 9 year old show mare that we started trying to breed in 2002. She has been pregnant several times, but seems to have trouble staying pregnant. We bred her from April-July in 2002 and then tried from Feb - August this year. Her culture just came back at a 2A and her swab was clean. They are suggesting that it may be a hormonal problem. What kind of hormonal problem could we be having. I was also told that because she was a show horse for so many years and extremely "hot" we should try to calm her down and just keep trying. So, we threw her into a pasture with other mares. Then we started fighting the weight problem. She is beginning to adapt to that type of lifestyle and is actually beginning to pick up some weight and calming down alot. There seems to be no physical reason why she can't carry a foal. Her uterus, etc is in great shape for a 9 year old. The last vet that we had her with checked her progesterone levels and found no problem there either. Is there anything else I can try? Or maybe just give her more time.

Trisha
Posted From: 209.187.120.129
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is probably a silly question, but have you tried Regumate? They say there is only anecdotal eveidence that it works, but if it helps get her through the rough spots, it might be worth a try.
When is she aborting? Is it very early or later in the pregnancy? How many times have you actually bred her and still there is no foal?
Also, has a caslicks been discussed? My mare was only slightly open due to a tipped uterus, but after 2 early losses I tried a caslicks and Regumate, and now I have a 6 mo old filly.
Have you been breeding to the same stud the whole time? My losses were measuring small from the begining. My Sophie was a good strong conceptus, always measuring big, and her father is not the stallion I bred to the first year.
It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things. I hope this works out for you. Breeding can try your patience. The best advice I was given was to be persistent.
Good luck.
Trisha

Elizabeth Wingsmith
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. We have tried the Regumate. I actually thought maybe that was the problem. Maybe her levels are sufficient and we are overloading her. Is that possible?
She has never made it to the 40 days. She seems to be losing them between 30 and 40 days. We have actually had her pregnant 5 times and always to the same stallion. I am going to do an embryo on another show mare I have just to save the stud fee. I am down to the wire on that and am going to switch studs with her. I don't want to give up on her, but....
I hate to sound stupid, but what is a caslicks? Nobody has mentioned that to me yet.
This is our first try at breeding, and it has certainly been a challenge. She is such a nice mare though, I don't really want to give up on her.

Trisha
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mares, I believe a mare that is flat crouped conformationally or older mares, have what is called a tipped uterus. On a normal mare the anus will sit right above the vaginal opening, and the vaginal lips are nicely sealed. On a tipped mare, the anus is sunken in, and the vulva (do they call it that on a horse) will gape open at the bottom. Some just a little, some a lot. Because of this they run the risk of sucking feces and/or bacteria into the reproductive tract. With a caslicks, they sew the top inch or so of the vulva shut so that nothing can sneak in. If you mare has good back end conformation, she may not need this.
I want to say endometrial cups form around 40 days, and it is a common time for early loss. The cups are a unique part of the equine repro system. Horses don't actually have a placenta until they are about 5 mos along. The fetus is supported by the endometrial cups until that point...or something like that. You can look up the mechanism online. It was interesting reading for me when Abby lost early.
How have her conceptus's/embryo's been measuring?
I know there is a good article on this site about EED (early embryonic death). Have you read it yet? I will nose around the internet over the next few days too and see what I can find for you. Unfortunately my sister has my breeding books right now as she has a mare we are trying to get in foal (well, right now, waiting to see if she is).

Elizabeth Wingsmith
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the conceptus's/embryo has been measuring. I wasn't told that. I am new to this site, so I haven't run across that EED article yet. I am still learning how to navigate here. Thanks for the help. Anything that may help me would be welcomed.

Trisha
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Elizabeth, that's because I lied to you! It is not on this site, there is a link to many fertility and equine repro artile on the GW Ranch site... www.ixpres.com/GWRanch
It is a very helpful resource, and man, if I had the $$ for Feiner Stern! :-)
The other thing you can do is go to google.com and search for "equine Reproduction" or "endometrial cups" or something along those lines. You can't believe everything you read on the internet, but there are a lot of good sites out there. I would definitely start at GW though.
Good luck.
Trisha

Elizabeth Wingsmith
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Trisha. I looked those sites up and they are very informative. I will look at the google.com and see what I can find. I appreciate your help.

Anonymous
Posted From: 210.117.67.218
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI - while the articles that appear at the GW Ranch site listed above are indeed useful, they are NOT articles written by that site, but are in fact used apparently without permission having been taken from other websites that own the articles - especially TheHorse.com.

It distresses me that the original authors and owners of the articles should not receive they kudos due, but rather it is going to someone who has - essentially - stolen the articles.

Trisha
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes. I hadn't even thought of that. Clicking the links to the articles on GW Ranch do pull up many incredibly useful and informative articles from "TheHorse.com", and there is no credit on the GW site to them, however, they pull up the articles themselves with "TheHorse.com" at the top of the page, as well as authors listed. Truly an ethical dillemma. I found that particular place useful because there was no searching involved, but in the future perhaps I should direct people right to thehorse.com so they can search that site instead. Thank you for bringing that to my/our attention. Gotta love the internet!

b
Posted From: 66.20.101.75
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI. I also have a 7 year old Welsh Mountain Pony mare who is an awesome show mare. I have a question. She is owned by my daughter and is shown in barrel racing, showmanship, WPCSA shows, fun classes, and anything else the little 11.3 hand mare can do. But my daughter wants to get a foal out of her to show also and we have our own stallion and the mare is in heat, we want to show her next year and have already showed her this year winning 15 BLUES out of 15 classes with 16 or more horses in the class but we don't know when to breed her to get to be able to show her next year. Can you please help us?

Jos
Posted From: 165.121.167.220
Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a degree of mare-dependency here to consider. Some mares are happy to go back into work before the foal is weaned, some not until the weaning process is completed. Weaning is not generally performed until the foal is three months of age at the earliest. Then consider that the pregnancy is approxiamtely 11 months long, but may go over a year in some (rarer) cases.

Consequently if you are aiming at showing for as much of the season as you can, and figure that the foal will be weaned at 4 months, that means that you should be foaling out in January (if you foal before January 1st, depending upon your registry, the foal may be considered to be a year old at January 1st even though it may only be a few days old, so foaling prior to January 1st is generally not considered advisable!!). In order to achive that, you will be breeding in February, and most people in order to reduce the risk of the too-early (before Jan. 1st) foal, breed no earlier than February 15th.

This means that you may have to deal with winter anestrus and transitional phase breeding - for more information on which, visit the article on this site about Inducing early estrus in the mare.

Breeding early in the year also has other issues that should be considered, and perhaps viewing the article on the web site about the best time of year to breed may assist you in that regard.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US