OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Another False Pregnancy Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Another False Pregnancy Question « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 63.170.62.21
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Miniature mare that I purchased last October. She came out of a pasture, where she had been with a stud since April. There was no guarantee that she was bred and our local vet didn't want to preg-check or U/S her, because of how small she is. We have foaled out full sized horses many times before, so our plan was to treat her as if she was bred and watch carefully.

We have never seen her in heat and this past spring, she developed a little swelling around her bag. But that is as far as it went...around July we decided that for some reason, she had not been bred. She was tubby, but no where near pregnancy fat. Then, in late July, her stomach dropped and expanded very very fast and she developed a little bit of a bag. Since early August, she has had milk, but her bag is still very small and she made no changes. It's now into September and she doesn't look as fat as she did a month ago and her bag hasn't grown! It might have even shrunk, but she still has milk. This has been nearly 6 weeks of milk. Her tailhead looks a little prominent and her rump has softened, but she does not look like she is near ready for delivery. She is a maiden. She HAS to be AT LEAST 332 days along.

The other question is why would she not have been bred if she was pastured with this stud (he has babies on the ground, so he works) for 6 months? I don't know what to think, so all opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Sandy
Posted From: 205.186.82.173
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miniature mares can be very tricky when it comes to "looking" like they're pregnant. Especially considering the fact that she is a maiden mare.
You say the mare has milk, and has had for 6 weeks. Are you saying she just has fluid, or is it actually white milk?
I know that my miniature mare this year did not develop what really looked like a bag until about 2 weeks prior to foaling. Before then her bag did the same thing, would develop some swelling around it, and then go back down but not a true bag until close to foaling time. Also, I know that a lot of people will say that 335 days is the normal gestation for a mini, but my mare went to 355 days this year. And the year prior to that only went to day 327. So, you just cannot go off of that 335 days!
There should be absolutely no reason why your vet cannot ultrasound this mare. I have a fairly small mini who was bred this year for her first time, and the vet had to attach the u/s scope to a stomach tube in order to insert it to check her for pregnancy, because she was just too small to be able to put his hand inside her. So, you may want to recommend that to your vet and see if that might be an option.
I know how frustrating it can be with not knowing whether or not your mare is going to foal. And with a mini, you really need to know because it is definitely a good idea for someone to be on hand at foaling time, as minis seem to have more complications during foaling than the big mares do. But it is totally worth it. Mini foals are the most adorable thing you will ever see!
Good Luck,
Sandy

country
Posted From: 209.223.14.111
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our miniature horse was bred or suppose to be when we bought her. The last owner saw her bred. She was due March 19. That date has come and gone and no foal, Yesterday, April 8, she acted like she was in labor. Or what I thought was labor. I loaded her up and took her to the vet, and I was informed that she was not pregnant. Her bag is full and has milk. Is this unusal?

Anonymous
Posted From: 65.54.97.196
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not unusual for a false pregnancy which minis are known for. This is why an ultrasound is recomended for conformation of pregnacy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US