OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Link between WNV vaccine and Early abortion

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Link between WNV vaccine and Early abortion « Previous Next »

Elizabeth Hardy
Posted From: 64.12.96.135
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 7 yr old mare was not successfully bred after several AI attempts.the last AI attempt 6/7/2003 .. she was trialed on regumate then given HCG and AI'd. Regumate was resumed and she checked in foal 20 days later . She was continued on regumate and confirmed pregnant through day 60 but only by palpation (vet's ultraound machine broken).

I had her ultrasounded 8/19 but no pregnancy..vet said she aborted within the last 2-3 weeks.

I am hearing a lot of rumors that the WNV vaccine may be playing some part in this.

Have several friends who swear that it was the vaccine that caused the problems last year and this year did not give it and mares are now pregnant

Is there any truth to this?
And any suggestions for next season? ( Do not want a late foal so willnot attempt to breed her for this year.)

Jen K.
Posted From: 205.188.208.70
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to check out this site :
Lost-foals-group.4t.com
Certainly makes you wonder. My mare was vaccinated in April and bred in june. She was still pregnant at 60 days; hopefully I'll be lucky when we check her at 90.

Jos
Posted From: 158.252.215.102
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vaccination, deworming or contact with any toxin is contraindicated during the first 60 (and ideally 100) days of pregnancy, as organogenesis is occuring during that time, and interference with that will cause pregnancy loss. This seems to be a factor being seriously overlooked by persons using the WNV vaccine.

There is a lot of "urban legend" springing up over the WNV vaccine, and the site mentioned above (which is basically histrionic, and offered no solid scientific evidence the last time I reviewed it) is a good example of that.

For more discussion on the WNV vaccine got to this thread on the bulletin board.

Elizabeth Hardy
Posted From: 152.163.253.66
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos the mare in question was not given any vaccinations while being bred or pregnant..
I already know not to give vaccinations during the first trimester...

So she was not vaccinated , wormed or in contact with any known toxin while being bred or during the first 60days... and yet she aborted through regumate

Jos
Posted From: 158.252.215.102
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you are, I am sure, aware, there are a wide variety of causes for pregnancy failure. In fact, about 30% of established <35 day pregnancies fail prior to foaling.

Regumate will not prevent abortion in many cases - in fact there is a strong debate about what situations Regumate will prevent abortion in! :-)

Unless you have conclusive scientific evidence indicating WNV vaccine problems, I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon and blame it. It's far too convenient, and is undoubtedly what has caused the popularity of the claims by others for a reason for that 30% loss rate!

• Did your mare have a clean culture and cytology prior to breeding?
  • What was your mares endometrial biopsy score?
  • Can you be absolutely sure there were no environmental factors? (Few can).
  • etc. etc. etc.

I am also left wondering how your veterinarian identified the loss as having occurred in the previous 2-3 weeks. That would be pretty difficult to do - almost to the point of impossibility!

ELizabeth Hardy
Posted From: 152.163.253.66
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am also left wondering how your veterinarian identified the loss as having occurred in the previous 2-3 weeks. That would be pretty difficult to do - almost to the point of impossibility!
On this point I agree Jos.. I am just telling you what he told me.. so it leaves me wondering how good is he really and should I change vets?

She came out neg on her cultures.. but I plan on havng them redone just to make sure she has not picked upsomething while being bred..Bveing she is only 7 didnot have biopsy done but last ultrasound Vet reported the uterous looked healthy no obvious problems or cysts seen.
Abiopsy might also be need before nxt years breeding season starts

I am not saying there is or is not a link with the WNV Vaccine.. I am not in a position to even know.. just asking...

For now she will go back in training and I might try her again nxt year or might sell her and keep her 2002 Filly. Note this mare had her first foal last year and she was not easy to get in foal for that foal . I am just concerned that this is a going to be a perpetual problem and if so I will not use this mare ...

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Posted From: 204.162.126.95
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering why I haven't heard of any further research done after birds in a Toronto zoo died after being given the West Nile vaccine. To me it is the missing link. To quote the article found at http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E24167%257E1503947,00.html
"The dead birds' internal organs showed signs of autoimmune hemolytic anemia, an ailment that turns the body against itself, destroying red blood cells that ferry oxygen.
In an e-mail to other veterinarians, the Toronto Zoo's Christopher Dutton said the deaths were "possibly" caused by the vaccination."

If you do a little research on the above problem everything concerning mares aborting and having stillbirths might start coming together.

To quote from a link at http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson/
"Most of the time, a specific cause for AIHA is unrecognized. Many theories exist, but the ultimate answer is "We donít know." Dr. Jean Dodds, a veterinarian studying immunology, states in her article, The Immune System and Disease Resistance, that there are four main causative factors of autoimmune diseases. Those factors are: Genetic predisposition; Hormonal influences ; Infections, especially of viruses and Stress. Dr. Dodds also feels that the multivalent modified-live vaccines overstimulate the immune system. There may be evidence to support this theory because the Merck Veterinary Manual states: " recently, the most typical cases of AIHA in dogs have been marked by a nonregenerative anemia. Some of these cases have occurred after exposure to parvovirus or modified live parvovirus vaccine."

Jos
Posted From: 158.252.214.198
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably because the report (which was published in May, 2003) was subsequently thoroughly refuted by a variety of highly creditable sources, including USDA-Aphis!

For more information visit the article on the report at "The Horse" magazine, which you can access by clicking here.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US