OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Is this Mare in foal???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Is this Mare in foal??? « Previous Next »

Karen S
Posted From: 64.28.55.11
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 15 yr old TB brood mare,she had an inlarged horn,gave her shots to reduce fluid and shrink horn. Covered ( Clydsdale stallion) her next cycle,USed,confirmed PG.USed again at 60 days,found heart beat for about 5 seconds then couldn't find it again,even-tho Vet looked for about 15 mins! Vet had me bring her back 2 weeks later for re-US,we couldn't find fetus at all.She still has NOT cycled and acts PG.This is driving me crazy!!! Can anyone explain what is going on??

Anonymous
Posted From: 130.36.62.125
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She may be going through a false pregnancy. Sometimes when a mare's body recognizes that it's pregnant, the hormones go into effect. Then if the foal is lost, the body still acts like it's pregnant. It can take a while for her body to return to a normal cycling pattern, possibly as long as next spring. I believe there are drugs you can use to stimulate the mare's body into acting like it's not pregnant, but she still may not cycle normally for a while.

KarenS
Posted From: 64.28.49.154
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for responding to my question.One thing I failed to mention was that I had vacinated her for WN Feb 1st& Mar.1st,then was bred on May 9&11.After reading all the problems people were having,on the web site, Lost-foals-group.4t.com,I am concerned this may be my problem. The vet took a blood sample and is sending it off to Tenn.to comfirm the pregnancy or not and should be back in a week.Can they tell if it is a false pregancy with that test?Will the mix up in her hormones throw it off?
Thanks for your help,Karen

Anonymous
Posted From: 130.36.62.125
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what the blood test will show. Your vet should be able to explain the blood test results.

I will say that there are thousands of mares vaccinated for WNV that have gotten pregnant, maintained pregnancies and not had any problems with their foals. Take the "lost foals group" with a grain of salt. My mare was Vaccinated the year before I bred her, the year I bred her (vaccinated twice) and 30 days before foaling. Both she and the foal are fine. And she took on the first breeding, 10 days after being vaccinated.

Jos
Posted From: 142.177.99.199
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the blood is to be tested for estrone sulfate, then you may get a definitive answer as to pregnancy status - I say "may", as it is a little early for reliable results from this hormone assay. Although the hormone starts to be present from about 70 days onwards, it is not at higher systemic levels until about 100 days. Estrone sulfate is produced by the feto-placental unit, so no fetus = no hormone.
If however the test is being run for equine chorionic gonadotropin (eCG, also known as PMSG) then if the mare was pregnant, but has lost her pregnancy it will still return a "pregnant" result, as this hormone continues to be produced until about 120-150 days, regardless of whether the mare is still pregnant.

With respect to the "lost foals group" web site, "anonymous" (above) is absolutely correct. There is nothing substantiated or supported by scientific evidence on the site, so take it with a grain of salt. For more observations about that site by me, click here.

KarenS
Posted From: 64.28.48.155
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2003 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info,I will call my Vet in the morning and find out what kind of tests were done.Hopefully we will get a pos. answer!!! Can't wait to have another little warmblood!! I backed my filly tonight and she was a perfect angel! Gotta love that mellow personality!Thanks again,Karen

KarenS
Posted From: 64.28.55.98
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The test that was done was the eCG and it isn't back yet,will post when I hear.KarenS

KarenS
Posted From: 64.28.55.153
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,I found out that the test was the eCG,PMSG one and it came back today stating that my mare is PG. SOOO,I will have to wait until next Apr and see!! Thanks again for all the info, Karen

Jos
Posted From: 158.252.215.107
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or run an estrone sulfate assay after 100 days of pregnancy!

Anonymous
Posted From: 67.202.88.249
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our 7YO mare was last bred A.I. on June 5th (the 4th time this breeding season alone) and I was told that she ovulated a day later. On the 36th through 38th days, she was flagging her tail at the pasture gate and looking interested! Could this be a false sign or are we victims of wishful thinking? She has never been confirmed as being pregnant and it will be a while until we can get the vet out.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US