Just had a most discouraging phone call from the vet today...
We purchased a mare in January specifically to breed to our stallion. Based on her pedigree, conformation and type, we'll call her "The Perfect Mare." At age 12, with one previous foal to her credit, we decided not to do a uterine bx at the time she was vetted.
In April, after cycling regularily the previous three months, we bred her via AI. Some fluid was noted upon ultrasound, and a uterine lavage with oxytocin was performed over the next three days with seemingly good results. (no fluid, and ovulation occurring with 24 hours of AI)
The first week in May, she came back into heat. Another ultrasound indicated (no pregnancy) and another accumulation of fluid (approx 100 cc). The decision was made to breed her again via AI, with subsequent lavage and oxytocin. Again, with seemingly good results, both timing-wise and fluid elimination. By the end of the month, she again came back into heat. The decision was made to breed via live cover. Three covers, every other day. At day 21 after the last cover(June 16th), no signs of heat, but some discharge. An ultrasound revealed no pregnancy, but no fluid either. Cervix closed, and the presence of CL's which perhaps indicated a recent ovulation...? Decided to wait rather than short cycle to see if she would come in on her own, and do a culture/cytology at that point.
On the 26th (10 days later) she began to exhibit signs of heat, and an ultrasound showed the presence of an "exceptional" amount of fluid. During the lavage, the fluid was returning a pink-tinged color, indicating the presence of blood and extreme inflammation. The culture grew a streptococcal bacteria within 24 hours. She was treated with antibiotics, and by last report was showing little or no fluid as was responding well to the treatment.
The plan at the moment will be to let her cycle in again on her own, do a culture on that heat, and make the decision to breed or not at that time...
The vet (a reproducitve spec) considers this mare to be problematic, and while not willing to declare her barren, was relectant to even put odds on a 50/50 chance of The Pefect Mare getting in and keeping a foal...she also indicated that after this last ovulation, the mare bled into an ovary, causing an ovarian hematoma... None of this sounds good; we are very discouraged at this point...
Based on your experience with this type of situation, have you found there to be any significant success rates getting a mare like this to conceive? We have already thrown *alot* of money at this; when do you finally 'throw in the towel'?
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: