OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Purchasing a Teaser

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Purchasing a Teaser « Previous Next »

Dani
Posted From: 67.2.166.188
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a small breeding program with a half a dozen mares that we breed to outside stallions. We have several mares that are very silent in their cycles unless there is a stallion around. It gets costly having the vet out several times to check and then also to inseminate when the time is right. So we are looking into purchasing a teaser, and have heard you can sometimes get by with a pony or mini stud. I wondered if anyone has ever done this and what their experience and advice is.

Anonymous
Posted From: 130.36.61.127
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine uses a Mini stallion. Neither the mares nor the stallion seem to realize that he's not big enough to do anything.

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.172.91
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My miniature stallion teases my big horse mares very well. And the mares respond to him just as though he could "do something about it." They don't seem to notice the difference.

Dani
Posted From: 67.2.164.224
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, how do you go about teasing with him? You don't pasture him with the mares do you?

Jennifer Kerrigan
Posted From: 208.207.43.172
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine had what I'd call a medium sized breeding operation and stood a stallion. However, she had a pony that was used as a teaser. She had alleys between the fields and just left the pony in the alleys so he and the mares could go up and check each other out through the fence at any time. That way she didn't have to get her breeding stallion excited for no reason and she could just observe the mares behaviors and didn't need to lead each of them up to the teaser several times during the day. And you know sometimes those mares just won't show that they are in when you lead them up to the stallion! This system worked well for her.

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.172.42
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dani,
No, I do not pasture my mini stallion with the big horse mares. He is kept in a separate paddock, but the mares have access to be able to get right up next to the fence where he is. He will start huffing and puffing just like any stallion would and if the mares are in heat, they will turn their butts right around to that fence and start winking. He is able to stretch his neck up high enough to get his nose right under their tails and really tease them up.
And if I want to check a specific mare, I will just lead her to the stallion's paddock and he will come running over and do the same thing, and it will be more than obvious if the mare is in heat. If she isn't, then she will pin her ears and try to get away from him.
I don't think either one knows that he's too little to actually do the job.

Anonymous
Posted From: 12.65.216.23
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a mini stallion at a killer auction to use on thoroughbred mares. He does a fair job but some mares intimidate him and after the first nicker, if they don't tease in, he is finished. I suppose that could be true of any stallion, tho.
He accidentally got into the pasture with the mares one day and tried to kill one of the foals. Luckily, I was able to catch him before he did any damage.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US