Had my mare checked on 5/29 her last breed date was 5/8. Vet said pregnancy, Ultrasound said pregnancy, fluid where it tried to attatch. Vet said no uterine tone. Said she was losing it and to give her a Lutalyse shot. Did so today 6/3 still not in heat. Now what. Also said to start on Regumate 5-6 days post breeding. I know and have read so much about regumate vs. not that I'm not sure what to do. Would like to not spend all that money but don't want her empty. Her first and last foal was in 2000. Haven't tried to breed her again since then she is a 10 year old Arabian mare in good health. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jos Posted From: 184.108.40.206
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:59 pm:
Have you determined the cause of the fluid? Did you perform a uterine culture AND cytology that was clear prior to breeding? Did you use the oxytocin protocol set out here on this web site?
Those would be good and cheap places to start...
Note that if there is an infection or unleared fluid present, the use of Regumate may well make the situation worse.
Kho-magic Posted From: 220.127.116.11
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 02:45 pm:
We had done a culture EARLY in the year (late January) it was clean, no cytology couldn't convince my vet to do it. I hadn't given any thought to the fluid and my vet seemed to think that it was because the pregnancy was bad. Now after breeding thru two more cycles one with regumate, no pregnancy but good tone and the last one I started the regumate 5 days post breeding and saw a thick white discharge 7 days post breeding so I discontinued the regumate figureing if she has a discharge she isn't in foal. Called my vet said it is just the inflamatory response no big deal but she won't be in foal. Well now I've been reading about uterine inflamation over the last couple of days and have come to think it is a big deal! I'm done trying to breed this year it's too late as it's really hot here in the summer and I don't want to bake my poor foal! So should I have her re-cultured etc. this year, or wait til next spring or do both. I will go armed with the articles I've printed off this site. We do not have a repro speciallist in my state but the vet I'm curently using worked on some large TB farms in KY early in his practice.
I am already planning to bring her into the barn and start her under lights. Is there any benefit to sarting the lighting earlier than November or if she has delayed clearence issues would I want her to shut down for the winter? I had been thinking of bringing her in and starting the lighting so she doesn't stop cycleing this fall?
Thanks for all your help, I feel better knowing help is there for us who are starting out in this grand adventure of breeding horses. It's definatly not as easy as it would appear.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: