OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

19 yr Cushings mare on Pergolide and Breeding

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 19 yr Cushings mare on Pergolide and Breeding « Previous Next »

Joyce
Posted From: 192.44.136.113
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare was just diagnosed with Cushings.
Anyone have experience with breeding a mare with Cushings on pergolide. My vet thinks that Im crazy for trying but Ive already paid the stud fee.

Maryanne Nicpon
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I leased a wonderfully bred Holsteiner mare in 1999. The mare was 19 years old at the time, and had previously had at least five foals. We had a
little bit of a difficult time getting her in foal, but finally did. Her pregnancy was complicated by placentitis but she had a nice filly in 6/00. As she was supposed to be returned to her owner when the foal was weaned, we did not rebreed her. Her owner later decided to give me the mare, so we ended up losing a season. In 2001, we tried in vain to get her in foal. I
asked my vet to work her up for Cushings and he did not feel she had it. In 9/01, we got a new vet in the practice and she was board certified in
theriogenology. She took one look at my mare and said, "She has Cushings". We did a dexamethasone challenge and sure enough she did. Her only
symptoms were being fat, having a cresty neck and having reduced fertility. She also had frequent bouts of lymphangitis in her hind legs. We started her on 1mg/day of Pergolide in 10/01. Within two months she began looking and acting differently. It was as if she was aging backward! She was now 22 years old and had a new lease on life. She lost weight and developed
energy. She stopped having the hind leg flare-ups. We bred her to Camiros and she got in foal on the first cycle. She remained on Pergolide until one month before she foaled. Her pregnancy was problem free this time around. She foaled 5/10/03 and currently looks like a million bucks. We are starting her back on Pergolide at 30 days post foaling, and planning to breed her again on her 45 day heat.

Karen in Maine
Posted From: 66.186.178.29
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I just posted about this subject above. My first vet said no way!! He was not into breeding anyway and turned me to a reproduction vet that says NO PROBLEM.. So I have gone through with the breeding and this is the 3rd time this season and she is bred!!! Now-I am not to get excited untill her next U/S in 2 weeks. I never in a million years thought that my horse had cushings and I thought it was the end of the world. She had NO signs of it at all. But now that I see you had some hind leg issues. My mare would stock up in the hind legs now and then. I just thought it was due to the work that she was doing.
My mare is a 16.3h TB/Hann cross and is 18 years old. I bred her to a shire stallion that is bulky and 18 hands.

Anonymous
Posted From: 65.40.231.174
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a curious question.... is Cushions 'genetic'?

We had a cushings pony - and I knew a 'lot' of info about it 2 years ago from having him - but never bothered to do any kind of repro info gathering.

Just curious.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US