OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

In foal or Not?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » In foal or Not? « Previous Next »

Dani
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who was bred once last year and took on the first cycle. She was ultrasounded at 18 days and was determined to be in foal. And never came back into heat after that. And she is one you cannot miss her cycles on. We had her pastured with the stallion and they never bred again. She should be due(342days) April 4th. But she is not showing AT ALL. Are there some mares that just don't show. This is her 2nd foal, the last being 7 years ago. She is a long bodied mare, but I would have thought she would show some by now. I guess my question is how late in the pregnancy can a mare reabsorb.

Sandy
Posted on Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dani,
If it makes you feel any better I have a mare that will be 340 days Apr.12 and she isn't showing at all either. But, I do know that she is in foal because I have felt the baby moving and on occassion have even seen it move. This mare has never shown that she is in foal with any of her pregnancies, and I have also wondered why it is that some mares are capable of hiding their pregnancies so well.
As for reabsorbing, I think it is usually within the first 30 days but I could be wrong.
Start putting your hand on the mare's belly and see if you can feel some movement. You'll have to be patient though because it could take a while to feel anything. That was the only way I knew that my mare is still pregnant. If it wouldn't have been for feeling foal movement, I would have sworn she was not in foal right now.

Jenifer
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dani...mares can absorb I believe into the 4th or 5th month. They say past 120 days you are usually ok but on some occasions they can either absorb, slip, abort. Mares tend to lay dormant for the winter with less sun light also so she may not have come back into heat for the winter. Is she showing any signs of bagging up or anything. I would have my vet out to stick an arm in to determine if she is still pregnant. No sense having sleepless nights waiting for a foal if you don't have to. Is she a large barreled mare? Good luck.

Jos
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually there is no such process as "absorbing", "resorption" or "reabsorption". In all cases, the pregnancy is lost through the cervix, but (especially early in the pregnancy) the conceptus or embryo is so small that it is not detected. There is therefore, no correct answer as to how late a mare can "absorb"!

The technically correct terminology is:

• Prior to day 15 of pregnancy: Early embryonic death
  • Between days 15 and approx. 40: Embryonic death
  • After about day 40: Fetal death

I do however always encourage persons facing a dilemma in the spring as to whether their mare is still pregnant or not to have the mare checked! This may be achievable by rectal palpation, but is definitely achievable by estrone sulfate assay.

Dani
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I would add this mare IS in foal after all. She is at 341 days and still not showing at all...LOL So I guess this mare just carries it well! Thanks for all the input!

Elizabeth Hardy
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2003 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dani My mare did not show til she was 7 1/2 months and she is an Arab. Some of the larger / longer bodied mares might not show at all depending on how the foal is positioned.

Good Luck and let us know when she foals

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US