7 Year old TB mare in Excellent health. Under lights since 12/1/02. Vet u/s on 1/20/03 - still in transition. Daily teasing. 1/30/03 - slightly raising her tail. 1/31- same thing. 2/1 - mare is squatting, winking and squirting. 2/2, same thing. 2/3 - mare goes for culture -Negative. Mare has a 19mm follicle LO, and a 43mm follicle RO. Cervix is open, uterine tone good. Vet says follicle is still firm, but predicts cycle is good, breedable and mare will ovulate within 24 - 36 hours. We decide its too early to breed and will let her ovulate and PG her after 4 days post ovulation to bring her back into estrus. Continue teasing. Now its day 8 - and she's still teasing. So, the vet palps her on day 8. No follicle LO or RO. RO appears (feels) functional. Can't determine the presence of a CL - so he says, either she regressed or she may have a CL - but because this is her first cyle and its early - we can either wait for her to stop exhibiting signs of estrus and go out on her own, or we can assume that she has a CL and PG her in 4 days - hope that she comes back in 3-5 days later. We failed to ask the vet to take blood to do a progesterone test on her, which would've helped to detect the presence of a CL or not, so now we don't know what to do. If we PG her in 4 days, will we be doing more harm than good? and if she has a CL, why is she still showing to the stallion? Doesn't the presence of a CL make her stop showing to the stallion? Or are all bets off because its her first cycle and she's kind of writing her own ticket until her cycle regulates? And I know she can have a persistent CL - that would prevent her from coming back into heat - but is there a condition that would be reverse? One that would prevent her from going out of heat - so that she would never stop showing signs of heat to the stallion?? As of the palp today - she does not have any follicles on either ovary, but she is still showing signs of estrus. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
You said the vet ultra sounded on 1/20 and it sounded like he used one on the 2/3. You said he "palped" her on day eight..... did he use ultra sound that time? If he did and there was no CL, I would bet she regressed... I got a mare that did the same thing... almost exactly on the days you just said.... My mare teased hot in heat , but the ultra sound showed nothing to breed on... The vet thought it would be at least six days before would have anything to breed on.... Five days later... she is not in heat... I bet a professional would tell us that these mares are still in transition. As for the progestrone..... I don't think that will do any good if there is no CL, but I am not a vet.
Posted on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:58 pm:
Don't feel too bad yet, I have a mare who has sort of been under lights, as she's in a public barn and if people are there after dark they have lights on til that person goes home. She has been in heat since 1/17 I took her to the vet on 2/17 she has 8 folicules on LO and 6 on RO the largest was 25. So we wait...good thing I'm not in a big hurry to breed her.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: