I am looking for help with a mare problem. I have a 1992 QH mare. First bred in 1999, foaled healthy foal right at due date. Returned to stallion but did not settle in 3 months. Came home & left open. 2001 returned her to stallion, bred, checked in foal around 17 days. Brought her home within the week but she showed signs of heat and checked open. Shipped semen and bred her at home, put her on regumate until she checked in foal at 20 days. Took her off regumate and she carried foal until 7 months, then aborted. Shipped semen and bred her in 2002 spring, checked her progesterone level and it showed to be less than 0.1 - we put her on regumate (13cc daily) and kept her on it until she aborted around the 6 month mark. She is kept current on all vaccinations and worming, fed well and is healthy. Even following abortions never showed any signs of sickness. I would appreciate any education I could get in this area. I am a small breeder - we only have 2 broodmares. I am looking for suggestions on things I should check for. Obviously I can't justify dumping a lot of money into her if she's not going to produce babies but I sure like the one she did give me and if I could get more I'd like to try. She's pretty much unemployed now. Thanks in advance for any help.
ELizabeth Hardy (126.96.36.199)
Posted on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 02:46 pm:
Hi you said your mare was low on progesterone and has aborted her pregnancies even while on Regumate.
First have her cultured and do a biopsy done. make sure she does not have a residual infection.
Then get her progesterone blood levels and a base line sonogram.
Once all this is obtained have the mare examined by a really good repo vet... Do you have a Vet school nearby? if so you may find one there.
What you do from there will depend on what the tests show and the vet finds.
What is her nutritional status? Does she have access to any toxins in the pasture? Fescus?
You may decide that the money and effort for this mare are not worth it. It may be cheaper to sell this mare and get one that is easier to breed. Only you can answer these issues..
Posted on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:36 pm:
Perhaps try to breed your mare to a different breed stallion like a TB or a paint and see whether she carries through this time. Sometimes mares develop antibodies against same breed stallions. Also check your calendar whether the mare aborted after giving the Rhino shots. Sometimes mares react to preservatives in vaccines or the vaccines themselves. And give her a stressfree environment!!!!! Hope you will have better luck this year!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: