OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate use

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Regumate use « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenoneProgesterone level testAnonymous01-21-03  11:31 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous (170.215.142.156)
Posted on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I began leasing a mare (with the option to buy)in April 02 and got her in foal the first time. This is her second pregnancy. The first foal was aborted at about 2 months the previous year. The vet took a blood sample and said I would have to keep her on Regumate 90-120 days. This did work, she still has the foal. I just wondered if, with each pregnancy, she is going to have to be put on Regumate in order to keep the foal? I don't really want to purchase a mare like this. (I know while she was being shown as a yearling she was on Regumate. Could this have any affect on her now?)

mps (24.98.133.19)
Posted on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a number of mares on Regumate and am thinking about buying one who is presently in foal and on Regumate. In my case, the mare I am looking at had 2 successful pregnancies, lost the third baby, and is now in foal for a fourth baby. Yes, Regumate is an added expense but in some cases, it's just the best thing to do to ensure a live foal. I'll be interested in what others have to say. I don't have much personal experience with this at all!

Gator (128.227.209.38)
Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using Regumate in this manner is an off lable use of the product. If anything happens to the mare and/or the foal the company is not liable for the unfortunate outcome.

If you are willing to spend a fist full of money on chronic Regumate therapy, why not spend the money on finding out why the mare is aborting her foals in the first place. There is a reason that she is not producing enough progesterone and if this trait is heritable, are we sure we need to reproduce it.

Treating pregnant mares this way also comes with a risk. By treating her with Regumate, you over-ride her ability to abort a problem. Not every conception even to healthy mares and stallions goes perfectly. Some conceptions have serious defects that she would recognise and abort when needed. I saw one mare die trying to foal a malformed filly. The mare was kept on Regumate so the "monster" filly just kept on growing. Just something to think about.

Gator

ELizabeth Hardy (12.38.198.125)
Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gator read the original post.. she did not say the mare would need Regumate the entire pregnancy just the first 90-120 days.. this WILL not produce a monster foal...

And I have no I idea by what you mean as off-label..pos you mean there is no scientific studies to prove that regumate maintains a pregnancy.

Some mares do not produce enough progesterone in the early stages of pregnancy( this will cause the pregnancy to abort) this can be determined through blood testing.. if a Mare is like this the Use of Regumate for 90-120 days will help maintain the pregnancy until the Mares system kicks in.

Regumate use in late term aborting mares is a whole different issue.. Your right before you spend money on regumate for a late term aborting mare find out why she is aborting before using or considering the use of regumate.

Jos (216.97.194.194)
Posted on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just so that everyone is aware, "Gator" is correct in the observation that the use of Regumate for pregnancy maintenance is "off label". What this means is that such use has not been researched and proven effective (and hence the label cannot reflect that it is suitable for use in that manner), or alternatively it has been researched and not found to be effective enough.

In fairness to Regumate, it is almost impossible to set up a controlled study concerning "low progesterone pregnancy maintenance", as there really are very few mares that truly benefit by exogenous progestagen therapy, and there are many variables that will be the cause of those few mares low levels. This leads to the eternal question - is the progesterone low because the mare is aborting, or is the mare aborting because the progesterone is low?

One thing is absolutely clear - a lot of Regumate is being used unnecessarily in place of good diagnostics.

Find out if the mare truly does have low progesterone levels in early pregnancy before reaching for the Regumate as a gut reaction! And in order to do that, one has to test the progesterone levels several times a day for about a week, as levels vary tremendously during the course of the day, and from day to day.

Anonymous (170.215.142.195)
Posted on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, you had mentioned testing the mare's progesterone levels several times a day for about a week to see if she did in fact have low progesterone levels in early pregnancy. I was wondering if I could do the testing myself and if I could how would I do this. Is there a kit I could purchase or something.
Also something I forgot to mention about the mare (in my first question at the top of the page) was that she was first bred at 3 and also turned out to pasture for the first time with other older broodmares who chased her all over the pasture and finally through an electric fence. Also during the time she was out she lost a lot of weight and developed a skin fungus all over her body. Would this have any affect on the abortion? Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier.
I also wanted to say that I was at the seminar at the Kentucky Horse Park and it was GREAT!!!!! I learned so much in those 2 days. I highly recommend it to anyone if they are interested in breeding.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US