OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Missed diagnosis on ultrasound or paranoid

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Missed diagnosis on ultrasound or paranoid « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous (216.47.195.5)
Posted on Monday, December 30, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
We have a mare that has had three normal healthy foals for us. One by AI two by live cover. We liked the first foal so much we decided to try AI again this past season. She was ultrasounded at 52 days and the vet found no foal.

Since then she developed some lameness issues and we were relieved she was indeed not in foal. Now five months after she was inseminated she is begining to look like she might be in foal after all.

I would not pretend to be an expert on ultrasounds, but I do remember looking with the vet while he performed the ultrasound seeing no indication of a foal.

We do not have any local vets that have ultrasounds and it is an ordeal to get one done, otherwise I'd try. But, also, it seems most unlikely that we could have missed the diagnosis. Is it at all possible to miss a 52 day fetus?
-perplexed

Anonymous (40.0.40.10)
Posted on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can confirm pregnancy by having your vet do a estrone sulfate blood test. My mare was missed on an ultrasound, so another vet recommended this test which was done at cornell university. It measures the estrone sulfate (hormone) produced by the fetoplacental unit. It can be done after 90 to 100 days and will tell you if the mare is pregnant and if the foal is viable.

Anonymous (204.94.232.135)
Posted on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The test you recommend would not suit this mare; the owner said it has been five months since she was bred (150+ days).

I personally know of three cases where vets missed a pregnancy, but all three were ultrasounded before 30 days. I would think it would be hard to miss a 52 day embryo, but if it was a rookie vet, I suppose anything is possible. It could even be your mare is just fat...at five months most mares don't "look" pregnant. Best course of action for now -- don't worry about it till spring. If the mare starts showing signs of estrus that might give you an indication (although mares come in heat when they are pregnant as well sometimes). By seven to eight months the vet should be able to feel the foal. Good luck!

Jos (207.69.83.71)
Posted on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incorrect!

An estrone sulfate assay is the best way to determine the pregnancy status of this mare.

Estrone sulfate is secreted by the fetoplacental unit between about days 70 and 300, with levels peaking at about day 210. Consequently a blood-assay indicating the presence or absence of estrone sulfate in this mare will answer the question!

wala mohamaden (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.201.234.212
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi I would like to know about ultrasonography principals and its uses as adignostic tool in vet. practice as vet.medicine is very inetresting to me? I will wait your reply.thank you.

Sandra K. Kidder
Neonate
Username: Sandysz

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, June 03, 2005 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All, I have a 6 year old maiden Appy mare. Last year there was no question when she was in heat. This year only once have I seen her squatting,peeing, and winking. So after a regimate regimine ending 5-4, she was given a lutylase shot on 5-5. It was horrific. She cramped so bad that she would be on her hind toes and almost collapse to the ground. This went on for almost 2 hours. NEVER AGAIN. On 5-9 she was ultrasounded with a right 32 follicle. 5-11 she was ultrasounded at a 38 and AI'd, and was given a shot to bring on ovulation. 5-12 she was ultrasounded at a 30/32 and AI'd. 5-31 she was palpated and ultrasounded and showing no foal. Now I am waiting for her to come into heat again. Nothing showing today. Am going to check twice a day for the next few days for her cycling. The stallion owner says that when the follicle dimminished to the 30/32 that she was absorbing it and didn't ovulate. I am between the devil and the deep blue sea. Is this true? The vet said that he had never seen this happen before. The stallion owner says that I shouldn't haul into the vet and to have the vet come to the barn, to alleviate the stress. The vet is only 10 minutes away. Hope that someone has some insight in this. Thank you, Sandy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US