OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Preg mare with strangles

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Preg mare with strangles « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenone"Do not" start her on Antibiotics!!!!!!!!Anonymous10-23-02  02:35 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous (12.149.180.143)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is about 5-6 months preg. She has just know came down with strangles. Will she loss her baby? What can I do to help her?

ELizabeth Hardy (12.38.198.125)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately there is a chance she will lose her foal. The best thing you can do is get the Vet out to exmaine and treat her ... even better if the vet had a good background dealing with preg. mares. Depending on the severity of the strangles the vet may or may not want to treat with Antibiotics ..usually Pen G.

At 5-6 months you should also have started her on her Pneumoabort series. In that she is immuno comprimised now talk to your vet about starting this series now?

Where is she boarded ? public or private stable?

This bacteria can live in feed and water buckets, any thing that comes in contact with the horse and it is airborne as well...

If she is around other horses chances are the herd may come down with it as well... if you can isolate her as far from other horses as possible. And keep her isolated from them as well even when she recovers.. until all the horses are cleared.

The entire barn , all stalls, feeding and water buckets will need to be cleaned with a bacterialcide or Chlorox.. If you can; get new feed and water buckets for your mare after she has recovered. Communal watering troughs should be drained and cleaned esp after all horses have recovered. No obviously sick horse should use the communal watering troughs. ( I do not like communal watering troughs but in pasture settings it is the only way unless you have a lake or other natural watering hole in the pasture) Do not forget to sterlize these watering troughs as well.

All obviously sick horses should be isolated as soon as possible, from the rest of the heard.
Discuss with your vet if using the strangles Vacine in the non sick horses might help in keeping them from getting the Infection.

All grooming tools and bits will need to be sterilized as well. Get rid of all sponges they are a good breeding ground as well. And while the disease is active do not use sponges, clothes, grooming tools, bits that have been in contact with the infected horse on other horses.

Also all care givers barn help, etc should wash their hands between each horse.. and do so til the barn is cleared of the disease.

Good luck.

barb (67.201.149.11)
Posted on Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 06:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,
just wanted to add my 2 cents to the above. I went through that last year and my whole herd came down with strangles, except the grey horses, go figure. I spent every evening in the rain and snow cleaning feed buckets and once a week spraying down the stall walls with a chlorox and water solution and disinfecting water containers. when I realized it was strangles I quit giving sulfa drugs and used warm compresses under horses head at the swollen glands to encourage them to rupture and then to keep that open and drain. it was a long 2 -3 months of treatment. 3 of my mares were 5-6 months pregnant and i was real worried about them. End result. All are well and had beautiful healthy happy foals. I would hate to go through that again though....There is a light at the end of the tunnel, the best thing for mine was good nursing care.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US