OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Confused :O)...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Confused :O) « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Tina O (205.188.200.146)
Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two questions. #1 -
I am breeding both my mares this year to the same stallion. The younger mare is a maiden and she came home from the stud farm and did not show heat. She was ultrasounded on day 34 and one vet said 'look there's a mass' and the other vet said it wasn't large enough to be a foal. They argued back and forth and the one with more US experience said she wasn't pregnant, it was likely fluid. So I took her back up to the farm that day - no developing follicle. She has been there for almost a month and a half now and has not come into heat so it's been 74 days now without a heat cycle. Could my vet have been wrong with a 34 day old embryo? They are the only vet in the area with a US machine and they have admitted to not using it very much...

#2 - My older mare has had one foal 4 years ago. She was bred May 20th and came back into heat and rebred June 15th. She was found not pregnant during her ultrasound as well, but had a big follicle and was taken back to the farm with the other mare. Vet saw nothing unusual inside. She was bred July 4th, came back into heat 12 days later, was bred, came back in 15 days later and was bred again. I will stop now because I don't want a foal later than this (harsh Canadian winters here) I can't figure out these short cycles - any ideas for next year if she hasn't caught this year?

Ksue (64.228.11.45)
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tina, I have heard everyone is having trouble this year getting their mares in foal.
I just started breeding my mare in July, My first time trying(I waited so long,because I didnt find a stud I liked till then)
anyways,
vet checked on July5, and was a follicle, estimated heat cycle to start 5 days, approx. later
sent her to breeder, and she never showed a heat cycle after about 12 days, so breeder gave her a Lutalayse inj.
came into heat the next day.
vet U/S at 18 days and no foal or follicle present
I decided to try one more time this year, so vet gave Factrel, for 5 days, sent her off to the breeders again.
so hopefully something may happen yet...if not im not worried, because it is getting quite late in the year. and they start shutting down around this time of year.
Are you getting her checked when she comes back into heat so soon? is it possible they are false heats she is having? generally they cycle every 21 days.
you should maybe ask your vet to check herwhen she is short cycling, or wait until next spring.
Where are you in Canada? I"m in Ont.
take care

Tina (152.163.194.199)
Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was having her us'd before rebreeding but this last month and a half she stayed at the stud farm and they bred her when she accepted.
I'm in Walkerton - bet you've heard of it, lol.

Jess (198.164.241.233)
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tina,

You are going to have people say the vet could be wrong, or that the vet is right......No-one can know for sure, and it is VERY frustrating on your end of it. Been there. $4000 later , no baby on the way. I am in NB. I have a healthy questioning of opinions and expertise of all the vets I have used at this point.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US