Two questions. #1 - I am breeding both my mares this year to the same stallion. The younger mare is a maiden and she came home from the stud farm and did not show heat. She was ultrasounded on day 34 and one vet said 'look there's a mass' and the other vet said it wasn't large enough to be a foal. They argued back and forth and the one with more US experience said she wasn't pregnant, it was likely fluid. So I took her back up to the farm that day - no developing follicle. She has been there for almost a month and a half now and has not come into heat so it's been 74 days now without a heat cycle. Could my vet have been wrong with a 34 day old embryo? They are the only vet in the area with a US machine and they have admitted to not using it very much...
#2 - My older mare has had one foal 4 years ago. She was bred May 20th and came back into heat and rebred June 15th. She was found not pregnant during her ultrasound as well, but had a big follicle and was taken back to the farm with the other mare. Vet saw nothing unusual inside. She was bred July 4th, came back into heat 12 days later, was bred, came back in 15 days later and was bred again. I will stop now because I don't want a foal later than this (harsh Canadian winters here) I can't figure out these short cycles - any ideas for next year if she hasn't caught this year?
Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 01:08 am:
Tina, I have heard everyone is having trouble this year getting their mares in foal. I just started breeding my mare in July, My first time trying(I waited so long,because I didnt find a stud I liked till then) anyways, vet checked on July5, and was a follicle, estimated heat cycle to start 5 days, approx. later sent her to breeder, and she never showed a heat cycle after about 12 days, so breeder gave her a Lutalayse inj. came into heat the next day. vet U/S at 18 days and no foal or follicle present I decided to try one more time this year, so vet gave Factrel, for 5 days, sent her off to the breeders again. so hopefully something may happen yet...if not im not worried, because it is getting quite late in the year. and they start shutting down around this time of year. Are you getting her checked when she comes back into heat so soon? is it possible they are false heats she is having? generally they cycle every 21 days. you should maybe ask your vet to check herwhen she is short cycling, or wait until next spring. Where are you in Canada? I"m in Ont. take care
Posted on Sunday, August 18, 2002 - 09:34 pm:
I was having her us'd before rebreeding but this last month and a half she stayed at the stud farm and they bred her when she accepted. I'm in Walkerton - bet you've heard of it, lol.
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 - 10:58 am:
You are going to have people say the vet could be wrong, or that the vet is right......No-one can know for sure, and it is VERY frustrating on your end of it. Been there. $4000 later , no baby on the way. I am in NB. I have a healthy questioning of opinions and expertise of all the vets I have used at this point.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: