OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Chrono Repro History of "No" progesterone mare (kinda long)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Chrono Repro History of "No" progesterone mare (kinda long) « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Vicki Gaudreau (67.193.143.137)
Posted on Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this history from the vet today. For some reason, the labs weren't included but I'll call Monday & ask them to be sent. I specifically asked for the results of the hormone assay. Oh well, I just called yesterday morning & got this already today so they moved very fast. I'll find out if a different vet attended her last year since this is all I received & would like to have last year's also.

This is for the mare who purportedly produces no progesterone. It seems a more likely possibility that she doesn't produce enough to sustain a pregnancy.

I'll be using a different (repro) vet. I'm not sure if the vet who attended her this year is a repro vet or not (can't remember). I know he's popular with many STB people around here.

I've never had to deal with a problem mare before but some of this seems to be a bit of overkill. Of course, I also haven't seen last year's history yet.

Any thoughts?

DATE DESCRIPTION/COMMENTS

1/29/02
PALPATION
FOLLICULAR ACTIVITY, CX CLOSED, TONE GOOD, IN TRANSITION

2/11
PALPATION
WORKING RO 30 M, CX RELAXED

2/13
PALPATION
40 FRO, CX 1F
UTERINE CULTURE & SENSITIVITY

2/13 15 SPEC EXAM

2/15
PALPATION
OVULATED, STILL IN HEAT, BREEDING SHED NOT OPEN YET

2/16
PALPATION
UTERINE INFUSION ANTIBIOTIC X
AMYLGLIDE
TX: OXYTOCIN

2/17
PALPATION
AMYLGLIDE

2/18
PALPATION
AMYLGLIDE

3/04
PALPATION
ACTIVITY RO, CX CL

3/06
PALPATION
2X25 FRO, CX RELAXED
NEG

3/08
PALPATION
CX MORE RELAXED, 30 FRO

3/09
PALPATION
TX: CHORIONIC

3/09
BREEDING DATE

3/11
PALPATION
OVUL FRO, CX CL

3/26
PALPATION
ULTRASOUND
NEG 17D

3/29
PALPATION
35M FRO, CX 1F
TIC

3/30
BREEDING DATE

4/01
PALPATION
OVUL FRO, CX OPEN
TIC

4/17
PALPATION
ULTRASOUND
18D FB NEG, CX CL, ONLY GIVEN PROGESTERONE FOR 5 DAYS
HORMONE ASSAY
BET LAB TOTAL ESTROGEN, PROGESTERONE, T4

4/25
PALPATION
SHUT DOWN
LUTELASE (THEIR SP, NOT MINE)

4/30
PALPATION
20 FLO H, CX CL

5/02
PALPATION
20, 25 H FLO, CX CL

5/06
PALPATION
25, 30 FLO, CX 1F, IN HEAT
NEG

5/08
PALPATION
30, 35 FLO, CX 1F

5/10
PALPATION
35S FLO, CX OPEN
BREEDING DATE
INSEMINATE MARE
RETURN PM & INSEMINATE

5/11
PALPATION
OVUL FLO, CX CL
TX: REGUMATE 8 OZ
15CC DAILY, 15D

Vicki Gaudreau (67.193.143.137)
Posted on Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting til next season & plan to breed her live cover since I'll be using my own stallion & feel it would help to improve her chances of conception. Actually, I'm inclined to pasture breed her. I'll put her under lights in November. I plan to tease as opposed to having her palped so often. My feeling is that the less opportunity for introducing foreign matter into her uterus, the better.

I was told this mare produces NO progesterone, which seems unlikely. It seems more likely that perhaps she doesn't produce enough to sustain a pregnancy. Once I get the hormone assay, I should (I hope;) ) know a bit more about that. Either way, progesterone can be supplemented & if that were to fail, the USTA allows ET. Quite a bit of money was put into this mare, trying to get her settled, but I'm not at all sure it was used in the most wise or efficient manner. jmo tho
(btw ~ This mare is a '95 model.)

Jackie Tyler (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.33.181.186
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi! would anyone like to tell me their thoughts about an 8 year old shetland mare I have . She has a troubled repro history. Last year she ultrasounded pregnant, but came up open in the spring, the former owner did not do any testing other than the ultrasound.Now I have her 88 days pregnant.At 30 days her progesterone tested well within normal range, according to my vet. We tested again at 82 days and the level came back at what my vet says is very, very high...25.5. She ultrasounded today with a normal scan, the fetus is viable and she pulled another blood sample . There was no indication of anything abnormal. What does anyone think about this progesterone level??? any suggestions on how to monitor this mare??? She has never foaled, always coming up empty, and I do not know exactly when or in what manner she was bred in the past ..other than last year..

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10281
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not be concerned about the elevated progesterone level - at the stage of pregnancy you are talking about there are multiple CL's producing progesterone.

If she loses the pregnancy again, I would have an endometrial biopsy performed prior to breeding her again, as repeated loss between 60-100 days (or thereabouts) suggests issues related to the condition of the uterine lining (esp. endometrial fibrosis).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US