OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breeding Maiden Mares in Their Teens Etc.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Breeding Maiden Mares in Their Teens Etc. « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Dial Lady (12.65.144.73)
Posted on Friday, July 05, 2002 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have exhausted most of the discussions pertaining to breeding older maiden mares and am trying to console myself that this "is" going to work.

To make a long story short, we have some maiden mares that were raised from day one and guess what - now they are older! Time got away from us for a multitude of reasons and we decided that "this" was the year to get down to business! We just finished breeding a 15 yr. old with AI (shipped semen) and after reading some of the responses I have mixed feelings about whether we should have in fact live covered her instead.

You may be wondering why we waited so long this season - the reason, because we did not want babies ANY EARLIER than end of May/beginning of June. This way I figured that if we had to go one more go round we would still have time. Because we decided to go with shipped semen this has complicated things immensely - stallion will not be shipping semen after July! Have bred mares live cover before even into August with no problem. In fact, looking back on records it seemed like July WAS the most fertile time for us. I am hoping that this will also be true for this maiden mare.

Have a 14 yr. old that will be bred live cover on the place by one of our studs. Could have gotten this mare covered IF we had started with the RIGHT stud in the first place. By the time we used process of elimination (first stud not ready for this yet - 3 yr old) (second stud liked to kill everybody - BIG mistake/halted that immediately) and (third (RIGHT) stud was a "day late" because mare was OUT by that morning. Did however get a 20 yr. old (had a couple babies earlier in lifetime) covered by RIGHT stallion and everything went great. I am beside myself because after listening to a lot of people this year they had a lot of trouble getting mares in foal. I am hoping that because this is later in the season and the mares are cycling more regularly that we WILL get lucky.

Years ago I would never have waited this long to breed these mares, but as I say THINGS happen!

Trisha (130.189.68.118)
Posted on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have bred an older maiden mare, coming up on 12 weeks in foal now. I chose live cover because I was breeding TB to TB, and obviously wanted to register the baby. So far, the Jockey Club will only register live cover. In conversations with my vet before I chose a stallion and was still considering Warmbloods, he said (and I have heard this from another repro vet too) that with current technology, AI is almost as, if not just as effective as live cover. Also, 14 and 15, while older, is really just on the upper edge of normal breeding age, certainly far from geriatric.
The breeding schedules on many of the studs is limited, however, even if she didn't take, you may be able to sqeak in one more try before he retires for the summer.
Good luck, here's hoping for a couple of beautiful babies and uncomplicated deliveries!
Trisha

Dial Lady (12.65.108.58)
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I would like to share the GREAT news about my 15 yr old maiden mare - She's in foal!!! Had her US today (16 days) and everything looks great. This has been a very tense "waiting period" for me and I am glad that it was worth it. The picture on the US was VERY prominent (probably the most prominent I have seen in a long time). Everything looked great inside. I am SOOOO happy - you can't imagine how happy!

Now we have a 14 yr. old that we lived covered here at home and her 17 yr. old sister (had two babies in her lifetime). We will play the "waiting and watching" game with them. I am feeling real confident about them as well. Now the 20 yr. old could be a different story, but judging by her somewhat changed attitude I believe we may have gotten the job done with her. That would be so awesome because she is a granddaughter to Three Bars and also to Wiggy Bars (anyone who is into QH will know about these horses).

If all goes well we could have four (4) babies next year, after a VERY dry spell for too many years.

Kris

Trisha (130.189.68.118)
Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations! These older mares can be tricky, but I think they are worth it. My 19 y.o. is doing very well now at 18.5 weeks. I can't wait for March!
Here's hoping for many more fruitful breeding years to come.
Trisha

Terri Sublett (66.213.102.2)
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladies,
I just found this site! I too have a wonderful old appaloosa mare that has been THE BEST trail horse I have ever had, and now that the big "18" has snuck-up on us, I decided I would like to have another like her. My problem has been getting her to take on the stallion. I bred her last of May this year on a very strong heat( she normally is a hussy, and once she got the stallion, she was all over him) and I thought I had gotten lucky because she mellowed right out, calmed down and seemed contemplating motherhood. She couln't have cared less about our gelding for the last three months(unusual behavior), then suddenly last week, she was all over the neighbors little arabian gelding like flies to slaughter. There has been no evideince of(that I can tell) abortion, no unusual discharge, no evideince of a heat until now. My question now is, is there anything I can do to make her more apt to conceive? I have her on Mare Plus and she gets a half pound of Equine Senior top dressed on her grain morning and evening. I had her checked and the vet said she was fine, and he saw no reason why she wouldn't take....BUT....Any suggestions?

ELizabeth Hardy (12.38.198.125)
Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri

Was she ever confirmed pregnant? or was this something you assumed by the change in her behavior?

I would culture her now... if culture is negative then ask your vet about trialing her on Regumate.

There is also an injection that can be given to bring on ovulation but.. if the mare is aborting or having trouble Maintaining the pregnancy.. Regumate may be your answer. talk with your vet.
And make sure that any future pregnancy is confirmed by both palpation and ultrasound.

It may be best to get moving on this now or wait til next year esp if you do not want a late summer foal early fall foal.

Tracy (63.187.241.92)
Posted on Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri, when the vet checked her out did he/she ultrasound her by any chance? I have a 17 year old Arabian mare that we got pregnant last year but she lost the foal a month or two before her due date. We tried again this year and I thought we got her since next to a yearling stud colt and never came back into heat until 3 months later :( Anyway, to make a long story short, she has multiple cysts in her uterus and though possible to get pregnant it makes it A LOT harder! Just a product of old age my vet said, might be something to check out before you go through the expense and heartache of breeding for no foal.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US