OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

15 year-old maiden mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 15 year-old maiden mare « Previous Next »

sue
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 15year old maiden mare. We have unsuccessfully attempted AI three times this season. This mare does not show heat. She does develop follicles, however when the follicle becomes a "breedable size", her cervical and uterine tone do not coincide. Her cervix relaxes only very slightly (enough to introduce the pipette for breeding), but never relaxes as "normal". The window when the cervix is slightly relaxed is only about 24hours. We have allowed her to cycle on her own and have also used lutalyse in conjunction with fertagyl at breeding. Any suggestions in getting this mare pregnant?

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two initial concerns I would have in this situation are:

Is she ovulating? and: Is she retaining fluid in her uterus post-breeding?

The fact that the cervix is not relaxing greatly is not a major problem as long as you are performing AI, and she is ovulating in a timely manner and not producing and retaining fluid in her uterus post-breeding.

As a first step, if she is ovulating, but is producing/retaining fluid, I would give her 2 cc of Estradiol cypionate (ECP) post-breeding, and couple this with oxytocin and antibiotic infusion treatment, as outlined on this site at http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/oxytocin.htm

If that doesn't work, I would feel inclined to check her Thyroid level, as sometimes tight cervices and apparent breeding problems can be as a result of low thyroid. If this is the case, supplement with Thyro-L and once levels are normal, rebreed.

Good luck!

Debi
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 24 year old maiden mare, large, somewhat cobby POA in excellent health. She appears much younger than her years and always has. When she was 14, a vet mistook her for 4 and had to examine her teeth to proove to herself that she was older.
I have owned her for 16 years. We are considering breeding her but I do not know if she is too old to go through a first time pregnancy and foaling. What are your opinions please? Thank you very much.

Jos
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although 24 is getting up there in age, as long as she is able to conceive and carry, the age itself should not be a problem.

I would recommend a thorough breeding soundness examination including a uterine biopsy on this mare before going ahead and breeding though. Older mares may have uterine pathological changes, as well as other changes, so such an examination may save you a considerable amount of money if it turns up a problem before you actually commit to the expense of breeding.

Good luck.

Beth Miller (206.68.196.97)
Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A local breeder told me that older mares may have problems carrying a foal because the tissues are less elastic than young mares. Because of this, I long ago gave up on breeding my 21 yr. old maiden mare. We bred her at 16 & 17 yrs. old but she never settled. She was not very willing so we quit before someone got hurt.

Kelly (63.172.47.212)
Posted on Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may take more time and effort, but many older maiden mares do conceive and carry to term.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US