OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Shots

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Shots « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

deb (12.149.180.143)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if there is a shot to give a mare before breeding that keeps her from aborting. She has had her 3-way shots already. Some of my mares are just not settling due to rainy cold weather.
Also the 3-way does not have rhino in it.

Jos (142.177.114.26)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many causes of abortion or early embryonic death that it would be impossible to develop any sort of pre-breeding innoculation to prevent it.

There is a product undergoing final testing that if approved will become available to give to mares pre-breeding (a single injection) that will stimulate endogenous progesterone production, probably reducing the need to give a progestagen supplement such as Regumate, so stay tuned for that!

To prevent abortion due to Rhinopneumonitis you are correct in your observation that the 3-way innoculation does not cover your mare. You will have to use an immunisation specifically designed for it ("Pneumabort-K" and "Prodigy" are the two most commonly used in North America), and you will need to give it at 5, 7 and 9 months of pregnancy, and contemplate giving it at 3 months as well if your mare is in a high-risk situation for possible contact (busy boarding/showing barn etc.).

deb (12.149.180.143)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thank you for your help. Is Regumate something that I sould be looking at? Is it a single shot or what is it? I did have 2 mares that were ultrasound at 24 days last year and didn't deliver a foul.

Jos (142.177.114.168)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my opinion that there is far too much unnecessary Regumate used... I would encourage you to have a complete pre-breeding work-up done which will include an endometrial swab with culture and cytology (if a cytology smear is not prepared in conjunction with the culture of the swab sample, then the results of the culture as far as showing pathogenic status of the uterus are WORTHLESS!!!! It is essential that if a "positive culture" result is seen that there be neutrophils also seen on the cytology smear - without those neutrophils present, it is most likely that the culture result is indicative of a contaminated sample! So - no cytology, no accuracy!) or possibly a biopsy.

Another frequent cause of early pregnancy loss is post-breeding endometritis, which can often be cleared by use of oxytocin in the manner described in the article that appears here on the web site.

By the way - I didn't comment earlier, but the cold rainy weather is not the cause for your mares not settling.... if that were the case there would never be another foal born in England! :)

deb (12.149.180.143)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thats interesting, Not only was I told about the weather,I was also told that because of the dry winter we have had that the well water is harder and that the mares could have got a urinary tract infection.and maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, Maybe it's my stud. I dont breed outside mares so I have never been to worried about infections. Nor do they ever leave home.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US