Ok, this sounds odd to me. Our stallion bred a 14 year old maiden mare for 6 days beginning 3/1/2002. She was not out of heat (still going strong) on last day bred (3/7/2002) but cycled again at just 14 days after last breeding. This mare was given a clean uterine culture/exam before being bred. Her owner has not had a sonogram done yet because she came back into heat. Could she still be in foal and exhibiting heat signs? I understand that while most mares will cycle at 18-21 days, they aren't all the same. I haven't run into a 14 day cycle as of yet, and wonder if this is a normal occurance. Her previous heat cycle before the 3/1-3/7 breeding was 21 days. Any thoughts?
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 08:36 am:
Sounds like she's "transitional" - hasn't yet settled into a normal cycle between winter anestrous and normal spring/summer estrous cycles. The cure: time. Wait for her to get into a normal cycle on her own - this may take 6 weeks to two months. Probably her next cycle will be more normal, as from your description she's been transitional for some time now. She may settle if bred during these transititional cycles, but they are frequently anovulatory.
Hope that helps.
Posted on Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - 12:55 pm:
She may also be displaying submissive behavior to your stallion. I have had pregnant mares that would allow the stallion to mount.
Keep an eye on her, as she may be bred. An ultra sound is helpful to find out where she may be in her cycle as well as discount the presence of any cysts or other problems.
I would not assume that she is anovulatory at this time. Her situation could be behavioral as well as physiological in nature. Many mares do cycle normally at this time of year and settle early on.
I just had the same thing happen. We diagnosed my 7 year old maiden mare in transisition heat.. for 3 weeks. Just to let you know we USounded her and she is in foal with twins. Since she was still showing signs of heat and urinating and requesting the stallion, and the twins were on top of each other, and not able to be pinched off we decided to abort her.. The vet said with transitional heat, and still showing signs of heat she was highly unlikely to have her body absorb one naturally..
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: