OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Emaciated mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Emaciated mare « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenoneMare Still in Heat 8 days ! Applewood03-15-02  09:38 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous (152.163.207.213)
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just bought an emaciated TWH mare. The picture i recieved of her from last summer showed a very fit horse. When she was unloaded off the trailer she is emaciated. Now..after much prodding i found out the mare had been bred last yr, Last summer she lost baby at about 3 months. And all of a sudden she lost weight. Owners said they were not able to put weight on her. I do not know if this is true..if there was much effort to feed her.Mare is just turning 4 this spring.
My question is actually 2 fold...her parents were both 15.2 hands. She is 14.1. maybe 14.2. With proper care can i expect that she may grow even as a coming 4 yr old. ?
the other part of my question..I am making an appointment with my vet. But in your opinion is it normal for a mare to abort..then not show signs of heat? She has been running with a stallion about a yr. From my readings it is not unusual for a mare to not recycle for 120 days after an abortion. That would have probably put her in winter time..non heat period? ..perhaps that is why she has not shown signs of heat for her old owners since she lost the foal.? I am concerned with her weight.and pray that the stallion and her did NOT breed prior to my getting her. I notice her vulva is very soft..anyway i hope this madde some sense. I bought the mare...mostly cuz i cant stand to see a starving horse. What do you recommend for wt gain? Oh mare came from kentucky...perhaps something to do wiht all the lost foals up there ?thanks lori

Erin Petersen, MS, PAS (128.8.190.75)
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she is thin and the previous owners "don't know why," have your vet check your mare's teeth when he/she comes out - they may need to be floated (common cause of weight loss). As far as feeding her for weight gain....Definately lots of high quality forage (make any additions slowly though, to avoid digestive upset). My pregnant mare lost a lot of weight after I moved out of state (in the three months that we were separated before she was shipped out). I had her back up to a good solid "5" body condition score in about two months with the following: high quality hay, good quality grain mix, beet pulp (does wonders for putting on weight), and corn oil (fat is a great way to add weight - safer and very digestible). I can't give you amounts because I don't know how thin your mare is, how much weight she needs to gain, or how much you expect her to weigh ideally. Depending on how thin she is, it could take up to 6 months to fatten her up so don't get discouraged. If you email me privately with more information, I might be able to give you more specific recommendations.

Aimee (207.144.149.199)
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About the mare coming into heat after aborting, she may have had a "false pregancy" A shot from the vet will help the mare get her hormones back in order and hopefully have normal heat cycles.
About her weight, I would put her on a senior feed. I know that she is only 4, but these feeds are high in calories and easy to digest. I would make suree that he is on a good worming program and may include daily wormer. There are plenty of feed nutritionalists out there that will create a diet for your mare. I know Purina will do this at no cost.
Good luck

Anonymous (205.188.197.23)
Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for all of your responses..
I have had a terrible time with this mare..in the week that i have had her she has been diagnosed with infuenza, choke..followed by colic. I was up til 2 :30 last night walking her and watching her..and up again at 5.then worked all day.
Mare is still alive..but i am no sure for howlong.
I am now over 350 dolars in the hole...2 emergency vet visits... 1 1/2 days off from work, and a sick horse that i dont know if will make it.
I WILL NEVER EVER buy a poor conditioned horse again.
this has been the most nightmarish position to be in in all of my dealings with horses
NEXTTIME common sense will rule over pity

Anonymous (139.134.63.153)
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont be so upset. if she does pass away atleast she'll die knowing someone was taking care of her

Nadine (152.163.189.231)
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, good luck in your struggle with this mare, it's awful that she is so young and in such terrible condition! I had a similar experience buying a mare from across the country, when she arrived she was 650 pounds. We had her teeth done right away and it seemed to take forever, but she did finally put the weight on, then got bred. I have had new mares twice colic shortly after arriving, next time I will be sure to give a few bran mashes to try to ward that off. I pray your mare makes it!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US