Drats! Just posted this same ? in the Breeding Methods forum... this is the place I should have put it! Here we go again....
Bred a mare last week - first cover. She bled (quite a bit). Had vet out the next day. With the scope (tube) and palpating her, he discovered that her "flap" to her urethra is larger than the norm and was torn. Figured that when stallion entered her, he caught it and it tore. We agreed that it was best not to live cover her anymore as we didn't want to possibly do more damage. Vet suggested we could US her and then AI her... Owner decided to wait until the next cycle where I guess we will have to US her and then decide what to do. I am afraid live cover is not going to be a good option. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 06:09 pm:
Brenda, I have bred quite a few maiden mares that have bled "quite a bit" on the first cover. We continued to cover them live cover throughout the cycle, and they never bled again and conceived just fine. But if your vet recommends not doing a live cover, then I would listen to the vet and definitely do AI. Or you can always get a second opinion from another vet.
have bred a maiden mare 5 times last year and once so far this year, No luck. She seems to be cycling ok, every 21 days. We ultra soound frequently and breed her on a not less than 40cm follicle. She ovulates within a day. Then we ultra sound in 15-16 days and nothing. Any suggestions?
ELizabeth Hardy (22.214.171.124)
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 10:58 am:
Have you considered doing a progesterone level and/ or a trial of regumate?
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 02:34 pm:
I would also suggest that you begin regumate immediately after ovulation. She may be concieving and losing the conceptus before it can implant. I would try this protocol after 3 covers with no luck. You could also biopsy and breed, then see what the biopsy determines.
Posted on Thursday, April 25, 2002 - 06:27 pm:
Did this maiden mare have a uterine swab sample taken and a cytology smear and culture prepared? Simply because she is a maiden mare does not mean she cannot have a pathogen present in her uterus.
And note that a swab culture result is absolutely useless without a cytology smear that supports the findings - and about 50% of vets still don't do one - so make sure you ask for a cytology smear and don't take "no" for an answer!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: