OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

2 Mares bred over the past 5 years - No live babies

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 2 Mares bred over the past 5 years - No live babies « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mandy (216.128.168.174)
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 excellent foundation bred mares that I would like to have some babies out of. However it doesn't seem to be working for me.

Mare 1: She conceives very easily. Her first foal was born premature and was huge. He was too weak and too big to nurse, so we bottle fed and was had an IV. He died after 3 days of birth. We gave her that year off. Next year we bred her again. She conceived the first time and carried it almost to full term. 2 weeks before the due date, she delivered a stillborn. We gave her that year off and bred her the next year with a different stallion. She, of course, conceived right away but we didn't ultrasound (which make us sick). She had twins and aborted them both at 7 months (which was in Nov 2001) We plan to breed her this spring and ultrasound her to make sure she does not have twins again. She is watched very closly each time and we still lose her babies. Is this just a run of bad luck for us or is something wrong with her. She is now a 16 yr. old AQHA. She is very healthy and exercised regularly.

Mare 2: She is a 15 yr. old AQHA. She will not conceive. We breed her every year in April, May, & June. We have tried hand breeding and field breeding. She has been bred to 4 different stallions over the past 7 years and still nothing. She comes into heat regularly. Nothing has been found with cultures and ultrasound looking at her ovaries and uterus. Everything looks normal. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions on either of these mares will be greatly appreciated. They would produce wonderful and expensive offspring if we could ever get any.

Thanks for your help!

TSQH (198.107.233.26)
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you had blood work done on these mares to check hormone(sp) levels? I would have this done if you haven't. With SOME mares that have hormone problems Regumate CAN help. But it is very expensive and they CAN still loose the foal. If it was me I would start over with different mares. (Sorry)

Kelly (63.172.47.207)
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest that you have a uterian biopsy done. That would answer more questions than a culture or ultrasound could. There could be a number of different things going on and this may help to end speculation.

I would be sure to keep up on the Rhino flu boosters and make certain that they were not on Kline grass.

I would have expected for your vet to suggest the biopsy. The fact the it was not mentioned, makes me think that you may need a vet that is more experienced in reproduction. Some are more experienced than others, don't hesitate to find one that is.

I would want some more work done on these mare before I gave up. If you really want to have foals from these two mares, there is more that you can look into. They are getting older, so I would suggest that you not let another year pass without further examination. Good luck!

Anonymous (198.109.198.3)
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I want to first start off by saying how sorry and tragic for your (& the mares looses)
You must............start her on lights, get them cycling and then watch a cycle or two, especially on the mare that hasn't conceived. Is she even ovulating???You can breed everyday all day but if they are stuck in transitional heats or have even a undiagnosed thyroid issue it complicated things. Thyroid and infertility can go hand & hand. I would check to see if she needs HCG what day is she ovulating. Hand breeding or AI only. You can necer be sure if they had a good cover if the withdraw was prior ejacutaltion.

Anonymous (198.109.198.3)
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In continuing-the mare that had the still born-are you monitoring her pregnancies? Vaccinatins, especially the pnemort K's. Taking her off the dew grass in the late fall, even different wormers and checking throughout the pregnancy, rectally for the live foal??? ZThat would help determine when she is loosing it as well. The healthiest time for a mare's uterus (broodmare that is) is when they are pregnant. Therefor if you are serious about the breeders aspect of it, time off isn't helping you only complicating the issue by a year older barren mare. Start early in the season with both mares and don't stop. Even if it gets later in the year than you want a late foal is better than no foal in these two mares situations You can always catch them on foal heats AI & move up a month every year. Hope that helps.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US