OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When's this foal coming?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » When's this foal coming? « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ashlee (164.106.109.161)
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question. I am new to this foaling ordeal and I am planning to watch a friend's horse foal because I have a mare due in May that I take care of and I want to know what to expect. However, she was 4 inches dialated on either Monday or Tuesday and now her udders have been full for two days now and there is still no baby. She was quirting earlier in the week but she hasn't waxed yet now that she's full. (She was also laying in her stall grunting during the full moon a couple days ago.)She is also leaking something from her vulva.

What other signs can I look for to know when she is going to foal and when do YOU think she will foal? Oh, and how far does a horse get dialated before her water breaks and she actually foals?

Anonymous (209.240.222.131)
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to alarm you but if that mare is dialated & squiting milk & something coming from her vulva I would say she's going to abort. If she's not due until May there's no way the foal would survive if it's born now.

Posted on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I may have misunderstood your post. It's your friends mare that is dialated & squirting milk? Sounds like she will go any day now. Usually when the start milking it will be within a couple days but can go for several days. They seldom ever foal on a full moon but it changes again Monday so watch for it then

Ashlee (205.188.201.143)
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is my friend's horse that I am talking about! I know it's still alive b/c I saw it moving. She is still full, as far as I know b/c I haven't been there today but it's what the friend says. She said yesterday she thought she may have been waxing. (And she was squirting milk earlier in the week not recently- not since she got full.) Really? Why do horses seldom go on a full moon? I don't even know why some people say they do anyway! LOL! I have NO clue that's why I am asking for help. Thanks, I will kep my eye out on Monday.

Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has the mare foaled yet? I've always heard they don't foal on a full moon because they like it to be dark so they'll be hidden. A vet once told me they foal on the dark moon.

tumbleweed (64.12.103.168)
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest two things first i would get the mare of your friends palpated to make sure the baby is in the correct position and second i would want to save the milk the mare is losing b/c
this is the mares first milk and i have seen these type of situation deplete the colostum leaving the new foal with no immune transfer. However I would have my friend get an igg done
good luck
Tumbledweed

Ashlee (205.188.200.56)
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to let everyone know..... sadly, the mare did lose the foal. She was on forage too long bc of the unexpected pregnancy and the placenta was too thick. The foal was found stuck in the birth canal and got brain damage and ended up dying. Very sad ending! Please everyone keep all ungelded horses, even yearlings away from mares! :*(

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US