OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

No heat for mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » No heat for mare « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenoneMare Won't Cycle - Silent??Anonymous03-06-06  06:54 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous (209.240.222.131)
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi.... I have a mare that I want to have cultured before I breed her. She has cycled all winter & her last heat date was Dec 29th. I don't know if she was ovulating through these heat cycles. She was due back in heat this week & so far she isn't showing any signs. What I'm wondering is if she wasn't ovulating this winter could the transition from not ovulating to ovulating have messed up her heat cycles? She is a very regular mare always comes in heat every 18-21 days. Thanks...And by the way how do you post messages on the equine repro site at yahoo? I don't see anything in the side bar that says post.

Lynn (206.157.249.105)
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anonymous, It is hard to say if she has been ovulating all winter. This would not be normal. What part of the country are you in? Mares cycles are generally affected by climate and the length of light in a day. Do you keep her in a lighted stall or area at night? That could affect her cycle. If you are in the South, she will have more months to cycle. In the North there is less. If you are in the North, she may have a hormonal imbalance to be cycling this late in the year. I would not worry since her heats have ceased, unless she is not cycling again in the Spring. In the mean time, I would talk to an equine vet or contact a University that specializes in equine reproduction in your area.

Anonymous (209.240.222.131)
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Va. She came in heat just a little late this month. She hasn't missed a cycle all year. I have the vet coming today to check her.

Sandy (64.157.20.189)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 9 year old American Miniature Horse mare that will not show heat after she has a foal. I purchased her in foal 2 years ago and she foaled without complications. She never did show signs of heat for 3 months after foaling. I took her to the vet and had her palped and he said everything was fine, just inactive. I gave her a lutalyse injection, she came into full heat about 3 days later, was covered successfully by my mini stud, and conceived on that cycle. She foaled with no problems last year, did not breed her last year, but she did not show any signs of heat at all while nursing, and has not shown any signs of heat after weaning. I'd like to breed her this year without having to give the lutalyse shot again, but it's looking like I may not have a choice.
Does anyone know why a mare would do this? I don't believe she has silent heats, because prior owner said she never had this problem. Plus when the vet checked her, he said she was inactive. What would cause the inactivity?
Any input is appreciated.

TSQH (198.107.233.26)
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lactational Anestrus. There are mares that just will not come into heat when nursing a foal.

Sandy (65.56.44.178)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the response.
Would the lactational anestrus still be in effect eventhough the mare is no longer nursing? Will it last until the bag is dried up? This mare has not been nursing for 2 months now, but she is still not dried up yet either.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US