OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Regumate - am I on the right track?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Regumate - am I on the right track? « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Karen (216.64.203.139)
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a mare that slipped her pregnancy last year (between 60 and 90 days). We assumed it was because she had a recto-vaginal fistula which we subsequently discovered had not healed totally (it was surgically repaired last fall and she's fine now). But this year, after she was bred, we pulled a progesterone level on her at 30+ days - it came back low, around 3, so we put her on Regumate. She's a big mare (1500+ lbs open), so she was getting 15cc a day. We checked her three more times (at 2, 3, and 5 months) and each time her progesterone level was around 3. Due to the cost of Regumate, we cut her back to 10 cc after 5 months gestation. She is now 9 months, the foal is very, very active, and all looks well. We have slowly "weaned" her Regumate down to 5 cc a day, and now 2.5cc a day. I want to take her the rest of the way off. The vet says that there is no real evidence that Regumate after 5 months will help maintain a pregnancy, but that there IS anecdotal evidence of abortions in mares with low levels when taken off the Regumate. He left the decision up to us, and being a little on the anxious side, we decided to keep her on it.

Now my question - She's maintained this pregnancy on a 2.5 to 5cc dose for a few weeks now. As she's such a large mare, would such a low dose have any effect anyway? And if not, is it safe for me to assume that we can take her the rest of the way off? Or might the 2.5cc she's getting actually be helping maintain the pregnancy? Any input on this would be appreciated - I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that it's OK to stop the use of the Regumate altogether. TIA

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US