OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare ovulating without showing signs of heat

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » Mare ovulating without showing signs of heat « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Heather (203.166.96.237)
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently trying to get my 7 year old maiden mare in foal (I'm in Australia). She is the same mare that I posted a question about regarding AHF last year. She had a granulosa cell tumour removed almost two years ago. For three cycles in a row now, she has ovulated before I have had a chance to get her scanned. The first time she showed some signs of heat for a day, probably just around ovulation and since then she has shown no real signs (perhaps a milder negative reaction to the teaser), but seems to be ovulating according to the CL on the scans. Do you think that this might be due to a problem with her remaining ovary?

She had a shot of PG two days ago (scan showed a 20 millimetre follicle and a CL), no change in ovarian activity today, so we are going to scan again in 5 days and then PG again if no action. I plan to have this mare AI'd. Do you think there is any chance of her maintaining a pregnancy, even if we do manage to work out what her cycles are doing? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous (65.31.18.24)
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2002 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! Sounds like Feb 2001 for me! I had a then 9y/o TB mare that I was going breed. I was working with the best Repo vet in my area and we had quite a bit of trouble getting her cycle figured out. She was cycling quite quickly and we kept missing her cycle. We started breeding her in Feb - missed her, bred her in march - missed her, bred her is april(thought we got her) - missed her, bred her yet again in May - Got her!!!! Yeah!, talk about happy, and yes this got quite expensive with her being AI'd each time. Then there is also all the palpations and ultrasounds done to check when we should breed her and to check if she was in foal. We also tried the PG shot after using Regumate - did't work for us.
She was on the track for quite a few years and my vet suggested that the drugs that she could of been on were still possibly playing havoc on her system. He also suggested that she just plain wasn't ready. I knew going in to this that mares that are bred later in life have a lot harder time getting and staying in foal, but I liked her so much and wanted some foals out of her, I gave her a chance. I don't think I would have attempted the next year with her, had she not conceived. I kind of gave her the 2001 breeding season to get in foal or back to riding life she went. I think she just wanted a spring baby!
As long as your vet doesn't see any reason why she couldn't conceive and maintain a prenancy, I say go for it. Breeding takes a lot of patience and money, esp. with some of the mares we love. :)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US