OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

8 day December heat cycle!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 8 day December heat cycle! « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Trisha (4.19.195.132)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I know this is random, but my mare is having a week long heat cycle in December! She had been bred over the summer, resulting in an early loss (3 months). Prior to breeding her cycles were very regular, but only "noticeable" for 3 days. Obviously she showed much stronger when at the stallions' barn.
My problem is that now there is a stallion in my barn, and she has been in standing heat for 8 days. She can't even be turned out during the day as he has jumped the fence before when he was a yearling, and I do not want her bred at this point in the year. Is this a true heat? Could it be a false, non-ovulatory heat? I am in Northern New England, and find it hard to believe she is cycling in the winter. Could this be because there are hormones in the barn now? Is 8 days really regular for a mare to cycle? At what point do I say enough is enough? Does this mean she will cycle all winter?
I would appreciate any help you have.
Thanks.
Trisha

Jos (142.177.98.199)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare's cycles vary tremendously, and without ultrasounding or running hormone assays, it is difficult to say with certainty whether your mare is anovulatory or not. Certainly some mares do display estrus year-round, but are not ovulating in the winter. A minority however do continue to ovulate.

An 8 day estrus at this time of the year would not be unusual, as lack of regularity is typical in transitional phases or when related to anovulatory estrus. Another possibility is that what your mare is showing is a "behavioural estrus" which is actually a sign of submissiveness.

Not sure if this really helped.....! :)

Trisha (4.19.195.132)
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, original poster here. Would the behavioral estrus be because the stallion was brought onto the property? And would it this effect her normal estrus come spring? I am planning on re-breeding her in the Spring, so I am interested about whether this will enable me to start earlier than I would otherwise. I suppose what I will do is ultrasound in the Spring to verify what has been going on, and just keep her well away from the stallion for the time being!
Anyway, thank you for the input!
Trisha

Jos (142.177.57.9)
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's quite possible the behavioural estrus was induced as a result of the appearance of a stallion.

It doesn't actually affect estrus - it's a submissive behavioural response, not hormonally caused, so it will have no effect on breedability, except it will make estrus determination by teasing a little more difficult. She can even still be in winter anestrus and yet appear to be in estrus as a result of the response.

I'd have her ultrasounded now if she is still showing this behaviour - it might save some confusion in the spring when you're trying to breed!

Trisha (4.19.195.132)
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I haven't seen her in a few days, so hopefully it is over by now. If not, I will call the vet and have her checked out. She is 18, so maybe she is just going a little whacky with old age. Actually, while I am thinking about it, I know older women can get "sticky chromosomes", causing genetic abnormalities. Do you know if something like that happens to horses? My vet reviewed her biopsy after she lost her foal in October, and said she is a 2A, and that her post loss Ultrasound looked great, well resorbed, no fluid, good tone, etc, so all she could figure was that there was a genetic abnormaility with the foal making it non-compatible with life. Is this possibly because she is older and has sticky chromosomes? She concieved very easily, but I am still worried about putting a lot of time and money (and emotional investment) into breeding her when it may not prove fruitful. She has a lot to offer as a broodmare, really nice conformation/movement (8 for gaits at one horse show), and the best personality, she is the barn favorite!
Anyway, back to the original questions I asked, and your subsequent answers, I intend to have her cultured (obviously pre-breeding) in Feb or March depending on who she is being bred to, and how she is being bred. I will most likely have her ultrasounded then at the very latest.
Also, my vet had recommended not re-biopsying her this spring. Is this an accepted practice, or can the grade change dractically from year to year? This will be my first foal, and I really just want to do it right.
Again, thank you for the info, this has been very helpful for me.
Trisha

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US