OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

14 year TB Mare Under Weight

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » 14 year TB Mare Under Weight « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Anonymous (208.16.230.84)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 14 yr old TB that was given to me. Around 600 lbs under weight. I have 300 lbs put on her now and need to put more on her before winter. I am feeding her 10lbs daily of 12% sweet feed,6 cups of milk plus daily, 1 oz. daily digset aid, pure alfala hay, str. C2X daily, and she is in a 12 ac., lush pasture. Is there any thing else I can do for her before winter. Northern Indiana winters........ Bad Winters......... And she is bred my granddaughter my mistake opened the wrong gate and the stud got in with her. She is 4oms. preg.,
Thanks.

semenfrezr (66.12.92.252)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience with rescued Thoroughbreds, I really think fat was God's gift to TB's. Add some fat to her diet- either stabilized rice bran (26% fat) or corn oil or you could put her on free choice Equine Senior. If you use the rice bran, they only need a pound of it a day on top of the grain. Really does wonders.

The first thing I usually do with a skinny horse (after checking their teeth) is give them a "Panacur Power Pack". This is 2 full syringes of Panacur paste dewormer for 5 days in a row. Removes encysted cyathastomes and other parasites that may be hindering her weight gain process. Even if your mare has been wormed recently or does not look "wormy", a Panacur Power Pack can really make a huge difference.

Good luck!

Kelly (63.172.47.219)
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

semenfrezr is right on the money. Great advice. The Eqiune Senior is wonderful. There is a new feed out by Acco that has double the fat content. Instead of 4% it has 8%. It is called Superior 10-8 ( 10% protein 8% fat ) or Superior 14-8 ( 14% protein 8% fat ) I have fed that with the Equine Senior with great results.

The Power Pak will get results, even after other wormers have been given.

Anonymous (208.16.230.70)
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the Panucur Power Pack hurt the foal she is carring? I have tired Equine Senior for 4mos no change. So I went back to my own mix. Her teeth has been floated. I have taken in alot of this type of horses and she the first one I'm having problems with. Northern Indiana has very hard winters. I'm thinking I will have to put her in my husband's shop where there heat.this mare is very nice has been through hell and back. I plan to keep her for the rest of her life. My grandkids (9) love her alot and she enjoy's them.
Thanks

Kelly (63.172.47.220)
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she is over whelmed with worms ( as I suspect she is ) none of the feed will help. I have an 18 year old Arabian mare here right now that is in the same condition. She has been given the Panacur Power Pak, and now is coming around. It is safe for a mare in foal.

My suggestion, relative to the situation I have here, is to worm her with the Power Pak, and get her on a high fat content feed ( such as the Superior product I mentioned in a earlier post ) You will then see some results. You definitely do not want to wait too much longer, as it will be a difficult time for her in winter.

The Equie Senior is formulated to break down more easily in the digestive tract. With her worm history, there is undoubtably damage. It makes digestion and absorbtion of nutrients an easier task on her already strained system. I would use a mix of high fat and a feed designed to assist her digestion, such as Equine Senior. This feed has been found to reduce the incidence of colic in the older horse.

Anonymous (208.16.230.66)
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kelly, I will get Panucur power pack tonight form my vet. I will let you keep you updated on HOPE. That is her name.
Thanks again

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US