OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits! horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

My 3 Mares have all late absorbed what is happening????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Breeding Problem Mares - Volume 1 » My 3 Mares have all late absorbed what is happening???? « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

lori (209.105.38.85)
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been the most frustrating breeding season! Background...All mares have been cultured clean, are of normal weight, & have all vaccinations. Mare# 1 is 14 years old had one foal when she was 3. Mare#2 is 12 years old and is maiden. I started in March with Regumating mares #1 & #2 for 15 days, then used Dinoprost IM and then inseminating mares when ready. As a matter of practice I always use Oxytocin 6 hours post breeding 1cc IM.
Mare#1 At 20 days was pregnant, great placement. Mare#2 At 20 days looked like she was absorbing. Rechecked Mare#2 at day 32 and wasn't preg. Upon vet's orders, I Dinoprosted again Mare#2 & AI when ready. Had vet out prior & after AI. Vet said looked like I got her on ovulation. Ultrasounded Mare #2 at 25 days - Pregnant, but not really sure if she would keep, edges not clear. Ultrasounded Mare #2 again at day 60 Not in Foal.
Now Mare#1 is rechecked at 60 days and its gone! So I Dinoprost her again, Ultrasound day prior to AI, Ultrasound day after AI, Oxytocin 6 hours post ovulation, Vet says I got her on ovulation. Preg check at 18 days , yes Preg, but looks small. Recheck at 53 OPEN. So if this is not frustrating enough here is my other mare...
Mare #3 ~ she had a foal this year, has always had foals easily for the last 3 years. I culture her at day 16 after foaling, all clear. I Dinoprost her on day 20 after foaling. She comes in and we AI on the 24th & 26th day after foaling. We preg Ultrasound checked her at 16, Yes in foal then at day 37 & 61 still in foal. I wanted to preg check at day 96 because of the loss of my other mares so I did and the vet says upon ultrasound the fetus looks small, but its still there. He said if he had only palped her he would say she was preg , but only around 45 days so he's concerned if she's trying to absorb. So we rechecked her at 114 days, yes still pregnant, but small and he thinks she's trying to absorb. Foal is still on the side of this mare and she is big. We're about ready to wean, as she 4 months old, but both eat well. This mare is a little thin, not bad . I have upped her hay and Equine Senior. I have just put her on 10cc Regumate a day. The vet is doubtful, but says perhapse the foal being at the side is taking the extra progesterone. WHAT DO I DO??? This is crazy. Any ideas? Could this mare just have a small fetus at this point, or ??? On the only positive note... I did AI another mare at the farm and on the 2nd try I did get her preg and she rechecked twice in foal at the latest being at 71 days strong & with heartbeat. Should I do anything with her? OK...long letter...lets see if we have any ideas???? For location we're in Minnesota, close to North Dakota. Mares are always in the barn, let out for exercise daily on a somewhat of a pasture/arena. I've been told a lot of mares are late absorbing in this area by other breeders, some are blaming "army worms"??? Don't know if this is true or not or are we just looking for ghosts that aren't there?

Anonymous (208.16.230.70)
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare when I would A.I her she wouldn't keep it. But when I live breed her she stay's with foal. Maybe that's it! Good Luck

Kelly (63.172.47.214)
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2001 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori- This is a very frustrating situation. You have followed your mares carefully and have attempted to follow suggested protocols.

I would suggest that on mares #1 & #2 you keep them on Regumate for 120 days starting on day 5, post ovulation. It will be expensive, but you stand a better chance of maintaining a pregnancy. The protocol for Regumate is 90-120 days, considering the late absorption of your mare, I would go the entire 120.

How is mare #3 doing? Did the weaning and Regumate help any? Yes, you could have a small foal, but it would be a very small foal to be seen by ultrasound on day 96. The amount of growth could be followed in the first few months, by ultrasound. Usually, nearing day 60 it is difficult to get the pregnancy to fit on the screen. If the foal were growing at an expected rate, although small, all should be well. The fact that the pregnancy was estimated at 1/2 the expected size, is not promising. I hope that it is all working out for you.

Lori Ricigliano (209.105.38.61)
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's what we are most likely going to do about the Regumate on the mares. The #3 Mare seems to be getting larger in the belly area, the weaning has helped her start to gain some weight back, probably wishful thinking though. I'm waiting till the middle of OCT and I will have the last Ultrasound done on her then that will tell the tale if we have or do not have a pregnancy. I'm not expecting much, but you never know. Hopefully next year will be better, thank you for your input.

Kelly (63.172.47.217)
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2001 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll keep my fingers crossed !

lori (209.105.38.70)
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, here's the strange tale. We ultrasounded at 150 days and the mare is still pregnant, pregnancy looks dark with definite borders, but the size is about the size of a silver dollar. Shouldn't be this small though, not even this small. So I guess we wait and see. We removed foal from her side about a month ago and mare is slowly regaining weight. Vet thinks we'll lose this one becuase of size, but any ideas would be appreciated.

teda (205.188.197.174)
Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what age should you breed a mare?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.
Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT
International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
STALLION STATION | FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US